Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Scrap Wood from Kits

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Scrap Wood from Kits

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 02:16 PM
mimhoff
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrap Wood from Kits

I just completed building a 4*60 and am amazed at the amount of scrap balsa and lite-ply there is. During construction I placed all scraps ino the lid of the box that the kit came in. I was afraid to throw anythinng out just in case I missed a small part or needed some small pieces for pushrod guides or whatever. Now that the kit is completed what do I do with the scrap? I have 2 more kits I will be starting soon (Sig Sealane and BTE Flyin' King) that will add even more material to the pile. I am trying to figure out how to handle the scrap pieces. In the future I plan to build more kits and may take a stab at building from plans. I know if I trash the scrap, that I will be down at the hobby shop buying exactly the same thing I just threw away.

I think the choices I have are as follows:

1. Throw out all scraps leaving work area nice and clean -- I don't think I can bring myself to do that -- too much good wood and I am cheap.

2. Keep adding to my current box lid of scrap wood -- sounds pretty good but takes up a lot of space and will get out of hand eventually.

3. Sort out larger pieces and dispose of smaller pieces -- doesn't sound too bad because I can always create small pieces from larger scrap pieces.

4. Sort out larger pieces and "square up" odd shaped pieces -- sounds great but sorting and "squaring up" takes time but you do end up with a scrap "inventory" that is easy to manage and store for future use.

My question is this-- "What do you guys that do a lot of building do with your scrap?" Save it? Trash it? Sort and Save?

Old 09-24-2005, 02:22 PM
nickj

Default RE: Scrap Wood from Kits

Number 3. But I hardly ever go to my scrap box. Maybe for a repair or something. Every kit has more than enough balsa and ply scraps in it. I've scratch-built a couple of planes, but like to use fresh wood for those, so I end up with even more scraps.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:37 PM
sbd-5
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

my sugestion is to take the scap pieces and turn it into the largest size strip wood you can for either stringers or cap strips or spars.cut the large sheet type pieses into large rectancles ,then throw the remaining scraps away.i have built 1/2 a r/c models from this wood,they fly great and cost is cost of hardware and covering.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:24 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

All four!

Suprising how useful an oddly shaped piece of scrap can be at times. Of course, if you're a packrat like me, then yes, the pile can get out of hand quickly. That's where #1 and #3 come in. Never really keep an inventory... if I don't have it in the scrap box, then I can always make a part from new stock(and get more scraps )
Old 09-24-2005, 04:32 PM
WCB

I have 2 boxes. One for scrap balsa and the other for hardwood and ply. After a kit is finished I sort out the different woods and keep the pieces I think I might could use later. I haven't had to buy any wood in a long time. When repairing I get out my scrap boxes frquently. So I'd say go with #2 #3 and #4.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:07 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 09-24-2005, 08:12 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I could go with them all but especially # 3. I save a lot because a lot of students either don't have scrap or they didn't save it when they could and they do end up needing some sometime. It's also handy to have if you decide you need some kind of helper tool that can be made out of wood. Of course there is a limit, --- but I haven't found it yet. ( after 25 + yrs ) ENJOY !!! RED
Old 09-24-2005, 09:03 PM
redfox435cat

#3. I'd also keep any sticks over 6" long. In case of a minor crash. You'll have the wood to repair it. I've also been amazed and all the uses of this material, I can ususally make 3-4 drop gliders from the leftover wood in any kit, as well as building for HO trains. I also keep a healthy amout of saw dust around as well. Great at absorbing oil after changing engine oil on the car, it also make a freat sandable gap filler. Take a pinch of it, put it in a gap and put a couple drops of CA over it and whala, no gap and it's very strong.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:46 PM
mimhoff

Thanks guys---

I think i will go with my #3 choice but sort out the ply, hardwood etc per WCB suggestion. I went out and purchased a couple of shallow Rubbermaid like tubs( 1 for bala and one for lite ply & hardwood) that are about 24" long and can be stacked. I think they will work great - also purchased a shoebox size plastic tub to save bits and pieces of pushrods etc. I have a hollow core door spanning 2 saw horses and the tubs fit nicely out of the way under the door between the saw horses.

Mark

Old 09-25-2005, 12:11 AM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

throw it all in the garbage,keep any pieces of triangle over 10 inches and any pieces you had an option to build.i used to save it and from time to time i used a piece or two,its like garage clutter you think some day you are gonna use it then all a sudden you are out of room..........lol
Old 09-25-2005, 02:04 AM
mimhoff

Horace315--

You make a good point. I have boxes and drawers full of extra stuff I have saved thinking I would use it someday. I can't tell you how many computer cables, hard drives, video cards, modems, etc I have collected from dead PC's thinking I would use them in the future. I finally trashed it all last year after realizing how out dated the equipment was.

I think I will fill my both my storage tubs 1 time so I will at least have some basic material to do a repair or whatever. Then I think I will only save special shapes and hardwood and dispose of any surplus.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:16 AM
bbbair

I happen to agree with everybody here, Yes I have an ever growing pile of stuff that "Could be Useful" but I do throw it out on occasion. . .

The key is that whenever you actually 'NEED' a spare piece of material - you can't find it - so you go out and buy a new one and add the scrap from it to the pile, and that's when you find the piece that would have satisfied the original need. . . . [:@]

I like the stackable container concept; fill it up, once it's full, start throwing the stuff away. [:'(]
Old 09-25-2005, 07:28 AM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Don't forget to start a box labeled "Pieces of Balsa Too Small to Save"

Old 09-25-2005, 09:39 AM
carlosponti

i save alot of it because balsa is rather expensive and i have found sometimes i might need to do repairs and its better to use scraps, properly sorted out, that you have around then to buy more that you will thro the left overs away from. i even save some of the small scraps sometimes too for other little things,
Old 09-25-2005, 06:53 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I save everything. It doesn’t save money or time. I’m a pack rat and too old for therapy.

The big pieces that might be used as a pattern of ribs or fuselage side are kept in the original box. The lite ply knockouts go into a small box and the long pieces into another box. Balsa pieces go into another box.

Scrap lite ply is used for almost everything. I always go to the scrap boxes for material and have not purchased anything in years. Someday I will discover how to turn lite ply into triangle stock.

Bill

You are not going to throw that airplane away are you mister?
Old 09-29-2005, 12:48 AM
Bobet

I have a band saw and I set a guide on it for 1/4 inch and pass ant long scrap through. Then I set it at 1/8 inch and pass thru any pieces that were to thin to make 1/4 sruff. It's surprising how much good balsa you can get this way. Any piece shorter than 12 inches I scrap.
ORIGINAL: mimhoff

I just completed building a 4*60 and am amazed at the amount of scrap balsa and lite-ply there is. During construction I placed all scraps ino the lid of the box that the kit came in. I was afraid to throw anythinng out just in case I missed a small part or needed some small pieces for pushrod guides or whatever. Now that the kit is completed what do I do with the scrap? I have 2 more kits I will be starting soon (Sig Sealane and BTE Flyin' King) that will add even more material to the pile. I am trying to figure out how to handle the scrap pieces. In the future I plan to build more kits and may take a stab at building from plans. I know if I trash the scrap, that I will be down at the hobby shop buying exactly the same thing I just threw away.

I think the choices I have are as follows:

1. Throw out all scraps leaving work area nice and clean -- I don't think I can bring myself to do that -- too much good wood and I am cheap.

2. Keep adding to my current box lid of scrap wood -- sounds pretty good but takes up a lot of space and will get out of hand eventually.

3. Sort out larger pieces and dispose of smaller pieces -- doesn't sound too bad because I can always create small pieces from larger scrap pieces.

4. Sort out larger pieces and "square up" odd shaped pieces -- sounds great but sorting and "squaring up" takes time but you do end up with a scrap "inventory" that is easy to manage and store for future use.

My question is this-- "What do you guys that do a lot of building do with your scrap?" Save it? Trash it? Sort and Save?

Old 09-29-2005, 01:01 AM
mimhoff

Bobet--

Sounds like a good plan -- wish I had a band saw or small table top table saw. I think I would probably do the same. I am just starting to outfit my work area with appropriate tools. I think I am going to stop at one container of scrap except for special shapes and lite-ply I also started small plastic shoe box for misc hardware.

My scrap container came in handy tonight -- I needed some lite-ply to reinforce the inside of some wheel pants I am fitting on my 4*60. The lite-ply that came out of the sides of the fuselage was perfect thickness for what I needed. Sure beat waiting till the next day and a 20 min drive to LHS.

Mark
Old 09-29-2005, 06:26 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MIMHOFF

Sounds like you have a plan, (number 3) and I'm sure it will
work for you at least for a while.

After many years I just throw the remains of a kit in the bucket.
It really isn't worth saving and usually takes up more room than it's worth.
I do have a scrap box but it's only the size of an old shoe box.

If I kept most of the left over remains that I thought were useful I'd
fill several full size trash barrels. You should have seen how much scrap
that went into the barrel from my TF Stinson SR9 kit.

Regards
Roby
Old 09-30-2005, 05:19 AM
SoonerAce

I used the web left over from my first Kadet as a template to rebuild the nose of it, after a 100mph power dive.