Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Aileron Servo reversing

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Aileron Servo reversing

Old 09-25-2005, 06:33 PM
darkmatter2uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron Servo reversing

I am quite new to RC modelling; I am building my first powered glider from a kit.

[link=http://www.amdhobby.com/product_info.php?products_id=370&osCsid=cd968b66759882e80f9744518857316e]My ART micro chilli glider kit[/link]

I am almost done my only problem is I have two micro servos (1 in each wing) operating each aileron. I want the two servos to work inverse of each other when operating the ailerons. I have tried using a y-lead but both servos work together.

I am using a 5ch receiver with a 8ch JR computer radio.

I have managed to get them to work in reverse of each other by connecting one servo to the rudder channel on the receiver (my glider does not have a rudder) then mixing the rudder channel with the aileron channel and reversing it on the transmitter. This works well but the only problem is one servo (the once connected to the rudder channel) work when I move the rudder stick on the controller.

I have also connecting the 2nd servo to the 5th (landing gear) channel and then mixing that to the aileron channel. This also worked but the motion was restricted by the gear switch being on or off.

My question is how can I get the two servos the work opposite to each other without any of the above side effects? What is the usual way of doing this? (i can’t physically reverse the servos in the wing since they are all fixed)

Sorry bout the long post, its hard to explain this type of thing!

All advice will be appreciated
Thanks Glyn.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:04 PM
The Ghost

Default RE: Aileron Servo reversing

Normally you don't need to reverse a servo for ailerons, only flaps. Just mix alerion with 5th channel and reverse and mix rudder to aileron, or see [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3384992/tm.htm]HEAR[/link]

Cheers
Old 09-25-2005, 07:34 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I know what your problem is. look at your wing, servo side up. When looking at the servos, what side are the pushrods on? To me, it sounds like they are on the SAME SIDE. THEY SHOULD BE ON OPPOSITE SIDES. that way, one aileron will go up and one down. Let us know if this is the problem. (I know it can happen, because I zoned out one night and put the pushrods on the same side. I went to test the ailerons, and they went up and down together!)
Old 09-25-2005, 08:34 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

^^^That is exactly what your problem is!!^^^
Old 09-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Tall Paul

If you can't remove and reinstall the servos per mrbigg's solution, there are reversing y-harnesses available.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:45 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tall Paul

If you can't remove and reinstall the servos per mrbigg's solution, there are reversing y-harnesses available.
And here's a link to one of the best ones out there, if not the best.

http://www.electrodynam.com/cgi-loca...7a9+1148225339
Old 09-26-2005, 03:38 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

darkmatter2uk

I have also connecting the 2nd servo to the 5th (landing gear) channel and then mixing that to the aileron channel. This also worked but the motion was restricted by the gear switch being on or off.

You can do it with the gear channel, but once you have your servos setup to function in the proper direction and the ATV set for each servo, you will need too go to the function select screen (#17 on JR10SXII) and Inhibit the gear channel. This will kill the function of the gear switch so that it has no control on the channel that it is mixed too.... regardless of switch position. In the mixing just make sure that you have the ailerons set as the Master & the gear channel set as the Slave.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:16 PM
redfox435cat

That is the only way he could have this problem. Ya had me baffled for a moment. I guess I never though of doing any other way. Just FYi this is how you set up flaps without a computer radio. Did this on My sea fury so I could still use the extera channal for a bomb bay

I always set up my aleron servos so the horn is facing the wingtip. That way there is no mistake
Old 09-26-2005, 05:55 PM
darkmatter2uk

Thanks a lot, its true i have fitted both servos the same way round. But it's too late to change that now. I will try to disable the gear switch on my radio and use the 5th for the 2nd aileron. That would work well.

I think my radio can do that, il have to check.

Thanks for your help
Old 09-26-2005, 07:03 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

I hope we didn't confuse you. You Don't Have To Move One Servo, Just The Pushrod. Just swap it over to the other side. Do like Redfox says. put both pushrods on the wing tip side.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:45 PM
darkmatter2uk

I have a JR X388s radio, is this radio capable of inhibiting the gear channel? I carn't find it in any of the menus