Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sig Koverall-substitute?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sig Koverall-substitute?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 02:10 PM
onemorecast
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Koverall-substitute?

Sig Koverall is suddenly or has been for a while, hard to obtain, as well as the dopes, stix-it, etc. I was just getting to really like that process and leaves a nice tight covering which seems to stay forever. Now, since Koverall and Sig products as a whole, (dope, etc.), are seemingly impossible to find, are there any replacement products for doing a similar style dope covering, to include a substitute covering?
Thanks for any replies.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:05 PM
sbd-5
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Sig Koverall-substitute?

try the factory direct seems to be avaiable there,may be just a lhs issue
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig
Old 09-27-2005, 04:48 PM
kdheath

I'm getting ready to order some Lite-Fab and paint from Jerry Nelson. Low (or no) toxicity, water cleanup, fuel proof with added cross linker. etc, etc. If it lives up to its promoses, excellent.

http://www.nelsonhobby.com/
Old 09-27-2005, 08:23 PM
rcalfred

For my last model, Cessna UC-78 Bamboo Bomber, used Stits Lite and Polytone system paints. Available from F&M Enterprises in Texas. http://www.stits.com. This is the system developed by Ray Stits and adapted for use on models. Heat shrink, special cement, fabric filler. Regards.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:54 PM
onemorecast

Thanks! I looked at their site. Looks like a tried and true method of finishing fabric. Will have to contact Sig and see if I can get Koverall but our local hobby shop contacted them and they said they just can't get it anymore. Paint systems are out there. A similar fabric such as Koverall? I don't know. Always when there is something you really get to like.......thanks again!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:16 PM
carrellh

Koverall is the same as, or very similar to, polyester dress lining fabric. A fabric store, or Wal-Mart, should have it.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:07 AM
onemorecast

Thanks for the info. I will surely consider that option.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use Super shrink coverite, which is basically the same polyester fabric material as Sig's Koverall and dress lining material, although the latter come in different weaves and some do not shrink well, it has to be used with dope though, Coverite does not, it already has glue on one side, goes on very easy, and then you can also order Solartex form Balsa USA, similar to Coverite and use either white or silver and painted on later, or just use the colored ones. You should be able to get dope from Sig, and also check aircraft supply houses and get Randolph dope, same as Sig's.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:58 PM
onemorecast

My only concern with glue backed fabrics is will they stay tight like a doped weave like Koverall? Or will they lose their tightness like plastic covering? Any experience with Coverite or SolarTex? Koverall and dope finish, the one I did, stays drum tight forever.

Just a concern, as with going through all the work of painting these fabrics, if they lose their tightness over time, maybe just as good to stay with plastic, but I love a fabric finish.
Future thoughts appeciated.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:28 AM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use dope on the unpainted ones, like Coverite, fabric covering does not sag if properly installed like the 'Kotes, as fabric is able to breath and let trapped air out, you must always be careful of which way the grain is running when installing polyester coverings, it should run spanwise and along the fuselage length for optimum shrinkage, I've used these coverings many, many times as an example, the Chipmunk below is about 10 or more years old and the Partenavia is about 6, and never have I had to use a heat gun to tighten the covering, both were covered with Coverite and doped, then painted with automotive paints.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16310.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	331024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32521.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	331025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72961.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	331026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf97001.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	331027  
Old 09-29-2005, 08:42 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

I have a Phaeton 90 covered with Solar tex and painted. 6 years so far and no sagging. Very good stuff to work with as well.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the past 25 years, all of my planes have been covered with a dacron fabric of one sort or another. I started out 25 years ago selling and using Ceconite. Later on I used Stitts fabric, and found it to be exactly like Ceconite. I couldn't tell the difference. Since I owned a model shop, I also tried SIG Koverall, and ditto - it's just like the others. Now, however, I have discovered a real bargain - from Aircraft Spruce and Specialties - they sell a non-certified dacron fabric that is identical to all of the above, 1.8 oz./sq.yd., and for less than $4.00/linear yard, that is 66" wide.

I apply with thickened nitrate dope, then shrink, then apply three coats of nitrate dope thinned 50/50, and paint with latex house paint, brushed on. Apply all trim, and then wax with Bissell furniture spray polish for a nice sheen.

Once upon a time, way back, I covered a plane with painted Coverite. That's when it first came on the market. I swore - never again, for after a year it looked awful. Ceconite/dope and latex paint will last forever. Take my word for it,