Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hpi Rs4 Help Needed Please !!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hpi Rs4 Help Needed Please !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 05:09 AM
CruzNlife1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hpi Rs4 Help Needed Please !!!!

K heres the deal guys i just bought the latest HPI RS4 3 it's ready to run.... Now i've had other cars before and I know how to tune it, but I seem to be having some problems with this one and it's driving me crazy....

K Heres the deal

The car is brand new
I fully broke it in i took the body off set up a fan to blow on it, and let it idle through about 8 tanks of 20% nitro gas.... Now I started to tune it to run and heres where i'm having problems.... If i hit the brake at any time the car stalls and floods terribly, ((I have to take the glow plug out and wait for it to dry and cool before it even tries to start)) The car is pretty much slow as hell, not as fast as it should be.... I've adjusted the brakes for hours, it's not dragging, and I can't seem to get it to keep from stalling.... When this thing stalls it takes FOREVER to get it to start again.... I've tried a million and one different settings with the idle, fuel/air needle, servo arm, and controller trim.... Heres my current settings.... I've got the brake set pretty loose, The air/fuel needle is about 2 3/4 turns out ((She seems to like that the most)) It's not too lean but runs pretty decent, But still not as fast as it should be.... the idle skrew is in pretty far.... the controller trim is about 6/10's of the way.....

Anytime i stop the motor it floods to the extreme, no matter what this thing floods everytime.... It's very hard to start, only easy when it hasnt been run in awhile.... Anytime i'm on the gas hard and let off quickly it dies and floods out.... If I lean out the needle, than it'll be too lean cause the motor is getting pretty hot right now anyways.... I am using Traxxas glow plugs... They seem to be the best, I get about 20 starts out of them usually, versus 10 with the others.... Anyone with any help or advice, or settings that they are using with the same car, would be great.... thanks guys

So in general my main problem is it flooding, and sluggish throttle response, and it dies when i hit the brake whatsoever
Old 11-03-2002, 02:45 PM
$ircra$halot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hpi Rs4 Help Needed Please !!!!

Hi Cruznlife: You did not mention which engine you have. Does it have a low speed mixture screw in the center of the throttle arm? It sounds like, if it does have this adjustment, it is set way to rich. A good starting point with this needle is usually out about even with the throttle arm. However it should not be getting hot if this is the case. If anything I would think it would not come up to temperature. Is it possible the clutch is not disengaging, or not disengaging all the way? I've had similar problems with the rs-4 I used to own. When you set the car on the ground running, does it want to drive off on it's own. Last thought, it sounds like the engine is broke in, but is the car? If things are still tight it could cause it to heat up. It actually takes more time IMHO to break in the car than the engine. Sounds like possibly a few things ganging up on you. You might direct this question to the car guys/girls forum. I'm always happy to help but must admit my interest lies more in airplanes these days. I had to many problems with cars. Although I do still have an rc10gt and a Duratrax bx buggy, but they are broken My planes fly forever or until dumb thumbs take over. Always happy to help if I can. Garry