Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Will flying hard wear servos out faster?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Will flying hard wear servos out faster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 02:53 PM
mathyoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will flying hard wear servos out faster?

I always can go only about 25-30 flights before my servos start getting loose. Will gear sets make them like new again? Buying new servos at this rate will get very expensive.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:52 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Will flying hard wear servos out faster?

If you are flying that hard, you might want to change to metal gear servos. they won't wear out as fast.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mscis, I have to dissagree with you, metal gears will wear much faster than the nylon geared ones do. They also pick up gear slop sooner. However, they are stronger and resist shock loads better. Other than broken gears, the only servos I've ever worn out was a pair on my Phaeton 90 powered with a Quadra 75. Even then they lasted for over 5 years of heavy duty service, at least a 1000 flights. It was the pots that wore out, not the gears, the conductive portion of the pots actually wore grooves into the backing material. They still worked, were just jumpy and hunted a lot.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:45 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I would look at linkages etc... if your servos are dying that quickly

which servos and which plane???

could be using the wrong servo for your application
Old 09-28-2005, 06:17 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what size models that you are flying, but I assume that you are using standard servos. I fly my smaller planes as hard as anyone that I have ever seen,& standard BB servos last forever (not the plain-bearing type), except for crash damage (the plastic gears strip easily).

If you are using non-BB servos, a switch to BB types should fix your probs.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:19 PM
redfox435cat

yes gear sets will make them new again. I have to ask what is the condition of the the push rods. are they binding. I fly the living crap out of my sport planes and have never wore a servo out, my push rod would develop slop though. I do spend alot of time making sure my control lingake is perfect. You should be able to move the surface with very little force. Yesterday I found my ZAgi control horns almost came unbolted. It had been flying funny for a few days. Like new now. Last week my Dazzler was flying kinda funny. When to look at it and the stabalizer came unglued. Just check everything before buying more stuff. Metal gear isn't the answer. they do wear out quicker they just take more of a beating with shock load. there great for steering servos on cars.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:30 AM
mathyoo

Well the servos in question are hs422, 605, hs81/85, so I think its just the junky servos. I do have another question for you, can a crash induce slop in a servo without stripping it?
Old 10-01-2005, 05:35 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting thread.

I have run a set of Hitec 205's (now HS-225) to death in a 40 sized sport plane. If by flying hard you mean lot's of servo activity in snap rolls, loops, rolls, spins, touch and go's, then they have seen extreme hard flying. These are nylon geared servos with a single BB on the output.

The results:

The elevator servo failed (motor quit) at around 148 Hours of flight time. Was able to land with minor damage.

The aileron servo failed (motor quit) at around 161 Hours of flight. Was able to crash with minor damage.

The rudder servo stripped a gear tooth at around 164 Hours. Thousands of touch an go landings, mostly on grass on a plane with tricycle landing gear.

The throttle servo is still working fine, but I use the throttle a lot.

The pots never wore out, or developed "jumpy" problems. This is because the servos never spend much time in a single position.

The engine is pretty much worn out now - rod slop and the amount of dust and grit run through it from operation off of grass scoring the piston.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:39 PM
redfox435cat

Yes a crash will strech gears without stripping them, I take all my servos apart and inspect them after a crash.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:59 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

what size plane(s)