Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

need a tip on balsa filler

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

need a tip on balsa filler

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 03:45 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default need a tip on balsa filler

I have hobbylite balsa filler, like spackle, but, once it is opened the first time it starts to dry out, how do I keep it usable, it just seems to get dry, I have added water to try to make it more usable again but it gets moldy.
Anyone have a idea?
Thanks
Old 01-12-2002, 04:21 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just go to Home Depot and get the light weight spackle as they seem to be the same thing. I also add water to it when it starts to dry out and never had a problem.
Old 01-12-2002, 06:50 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto what Art said. I use Red Devil brand I think. Make sure the lid goes on TIGHT after each use. i have used my little container for over a year. When it gets dry, i just add a LITTLE water.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:33 AM
rcski

Heck I got a jar I bought about seven years ago. I put water in a few times but its still good. How about if you take it out of the original jar and put it in something like an old jar from peanut butter, it might seal better.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:51 AM
JohnVH

There is a good idea, maybe that old can didnt seal very well?
Old 01-13-2002, 05:44 AM
Scooter-inactive

Default Balsa filler

I have been using Bondex Lightweight Spackling Paste from Walmart for small spots, which seems to be just as good as the Hobbylite stuff, but a lot cheaper.

If I have to make a fillet or a large blend in, I use Z-Poxy 30 minute laminating epoxy and Glass Microspheres which I get from a fiberglass shop. The microspheres are the same as microballons, but you can get 1 pound for around $5.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:23 AM
JohnVH

Is this stuff OK to glass over? I heard that it may bubble or something weird under glass and what not in the heat.
Old 01-19-2002, 02:11 PM
Mike James

Default Balsa Filler

I use everything mentioned above, depending on what's required for strength, weight, looks, etc.. One thing not mentioned, although it may seem redundant, is that one of the best balsa fillers is BALSA. For example, when joining wing skins with CA, give the joint a few swipes with a T-bar (sandpaper) WHILE the CA is curing, and the balsa dust will go into the joint quite nicely. I also save balsa dust in a coffee can, and mix it with other adhesives (i.e. epoxy) for filling certain non-structural areas. It's light!