Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

9C and Elevator Halves

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

9C and Elevator Halves

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Bill Killillay
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9C and Elevator Halves

Guys,

First, radio is a 9C

Second, both planes are Extra's, one is the H9 260, the other is the GP Patty 330 1/4 scale. Both have the primary elevator being the right side when looked at from the back. Both have that plugged into channel 2. Both are using PCM 9 Channel Rx's. Both have the aux channel of 8 being used for the left side.

Third, the mechanical side has been set up on both according to this artical and still I have this problem, that being that the one on the Aux channel gets to the end point faster than the other one.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=486

The end points are the same, the degree's of throw are the same as far as I can tell, but the speeds getting to those end points are very different. In both cases the elevator half that is plugged into my Aux channel and not channel 2, both are in channel 8 in this case. I've tried other channels for the Aux channels, but they dont' work.

I could really use some idea's here. I've grounded myself because I don't like what it feels like in the air. I get weird snap outs on both. Not cool.

Please somebody, anybody? Is it my radio, do I just need to start over on the linkage setup for the upmteenth time?

Hopefully,
Bill
Old 10-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Bill Killillay

Default RE: 9C and Elevator Halves

According to this FAQ from Futaba's web site, they say it's normal, but it sure seems like it's to much to me.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-8u-q594.html

I just don't get it. This is really noticable. I don't see it on other guys planes at the field... *confused*
Old 10-09-2005, 07:41 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I have a Funtana with a 9C but I used hitec digitals and a servo programmer to set everything to the same speed and end points and it works fine.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Bill Killillay

Did you use a Y harness or two seperate channels on the Rx for the elevator halves? I'm thinking of trying that next, getting both servo's on the same channel. I'm also using Hitec servo's, digitals on both planes all the way around and I've matched everything with the programmer as well.
ORIGINAL: barracudahockey

I have a Funtana with a 9C but I used hitec digitals and a servo programmer to set everything to the same speed and end points and it works fine.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:43 AM
kregan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having the same issue and after days of searching for
an answer I ran across a post that suggested using channel
2 and 5 for the aileron's instead of 2 and 8... I gave it a try
and the visible lag time between the 2 elevator half's went
away.

I think I used pmix #1 on my 9c super and mixed channel
2 and 5 together.

Hope this helps.

ORIGINAL: Bill Killillay

The end points are the same, the degree's of throw are the same as far as I can tell, but the speeds getting to those end points are very different. In both cases the elevator half that is plugged into my Aux channel and not channel 2, both are in channel 8 in this case. I've tried other channels for the Aux channels, but they dont' work.

I could really use some idea's here. I've grounded myself because I don't like what it feels like in the air. I get weird snap outs on both. Not cool.

Please somebody, anybody? Is it my radio, do I just need to start over on the linkage setup for the upmteenth time?

Hopefully,
Bill
Old 10-09-2005, 03:51 PM
BarracudaHockey

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

2 channels, 2 and 8, no lag.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Faster servos will have less of a problem.
Channels closer together will have less of a problem.

This is well documented and will not cause a problem in the air
Old 10-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Bax

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you see a very dramatic difference in servo speed when you're using a mixer to operate two elevator servos, it's almost always a problem with one of the servos. While mixing will produce a very small amount of delay between the two servos, in flight, it it's not noticeable. You see it mainly on the bench. That's because the transmitters sends out the control signals serially, and the second elevator channel will be a few milliseconds behind the first. When you're flying, you're usually not jamming the stick from one end to the other, but flying with smooth movements. The slight delay between the channels doesn't come into play.

If your plane's handling "funny" when you're using two channels for the elevator, then you need to look more closely at the servos. They should be matched as closely as possible as to speed and travel. If you swap the servos and see that the same channel is acting "funny", then you have a problem in the coding of the transmitter or the decoding of the receiver, and more investigation is needed to see where it may be.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Bill Killillay

ORIGINAL: Bax

If you see a very dramatic difference in servo speed when you're using a mixer to operate two elevator servos, it's almost always a problem with one of the servos. While mixing will produce a very small amount of delay between the two servos, in flight, it it's not noticeable. You see it mainly on the bench. That's because the transmitters sends out the control signals serially, and the second elevator channel will be a few milliseconds behind the first. When you're flying, you're usually not jamming the stick from one end to the other, but flying with smooth movements. The slight delay between the channels doesn't come into play.

If your plane's handling "funny" when you're using two channels for the elevator, then you need to look more closely at the servos. They should be matched as closely as possible as to speed and travel. If you swap the servos and see that the same channel is acting "funny", then you have a problem in the coding of the transmitter or the decoding of the receiver, and more investigation is needed to see where it may be.
Bax,

Right now my testing indicates that channel 8 moves faster than channel 2 does. Not sure why, but it does. My thinking is that it would be the oppisate. I'm actually taking another approach, going to see how it works out. I'm putting both servo's on a Y adapters and then doing the programming, reversing, setup, etc. at the servo. Both servo's in both cases are Hitec 5945 programmable servo's. These are top of the line digital and FAST. For normal flight I don't feel it to much, but when I try to do things like a wall, or a quick pull into a wall or waterfalls and stuff like that I feel it. Anything that takes rapid stick in put. I think that I'm close with the Y though. I'm off today and playing with it.

Thx,
BK
Old 10-10-2005, 02:23 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I have 2 5945's on 2 and 8 and can barely see any difference on the bench....

are you sure the plane is balanced correctly and all incidences are correct?