Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Trainer cord setup

Old 10-10-2005, 01:41 AM
Synapse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Trainer cord setup

I'm looking to help get a friend of mine in the air with a zagi flying wing just like the one I've been flying for years. He has never touched an RC plane before, so I wanted to hook him up through my JR 8103 with a trainer cord. I've got the needed cord on order, but I just have a couple questions about how the setup:

- When configured with my 8103 as the master and his TX as the slave, which device is actually transmitting the signal? Is it always passing out of my TX or does it completely switch over to his once I flip the switch to let him have control?
- (Related to the last question) Should his TX crystal be removed for any reason? I've heard this mentioned elsewhere, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks for any help you guys can give,

-Syn
Old 10-10-2005, 02:15 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Trainer cord setup

There is an article on my web page that explains how a buddy box works. Some of the statements about applying power to the slave unit does not apply to a JR system. I have been mistaken in the past in statements I made about buddy boxes not requiring power. If I remember correctly, a JR system has to have power on the buddy box but the crystal must be removed.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:01 PM
redfox435cat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The master is alway trasmitting to the model. control is pasted to the slave unit. also on a flying wing. both radios need to be computer radios since the slave doen't use the mixes on the master it has to have its own mix. leave the power switch off on the slave unit. With JR you acually need to set witch unit is slave and master though the program since the unit just turns on once the cord is plugged in. Personally I've alway rather used futaba/hitec for trainer systems since they'er more dummy proof.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Synapse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

woohoo, thanks for the info redfox. Actually answered some questions I hadn't even gotten around to asking.

-syn
Old 10-15-2005, 01:46 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi
the master tx is still transmitting the rf signal. the control on the slave are modulating the rf signal to the plane. be sure to check that you have identical throws from the slave as on the master, double, double check throws and direction when you have the slave switch activated.

good luck and happy flying
pt19 flyere
Old 11-12-2005, 03:46 PM
donmcgowan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

short answer - student box must have a battery(an ordinary 9 volt dry cell works fine), the on/off switch must be left off!!!!. The master transmits at all times with the trainer switch only making the student's sticks live rather than the instructor'sand of course the control reverts to the master Tx when the tainer button/switch is released.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:19 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One other thing with the JR when the trainer cord is plugged in both transmitters light up. The instructors still needs to be turned on the switch on the student box stays off as said in an earlier post. after the flight when you turn off the instructors transmitter the lights will still be on both transmitters. The trainer cord needs to be disconnected from both transmitters to turn the lights off. I have always used a regular transmitter battery in the student box. never tried a dry cell before. Don't see why it would'nt work if you did'nt have a stock transmitter battery.
Dennis