Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Corkscrew instead of Looping, whats the deal

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Corkscrew instead of Looping, whats the deal

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 03:40 PM
stang2b
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corkscrew instead of Looping, whats the deal

I just got my Modeltech Luckystick up and flying, but when I go to do a loop it does a corkscrew instead, but everything else checks out, it tracks straight with hands off in flying, banks great, and will spiral with no problem, its just my loops that are acting funny, what could it be and what should I do to correct it?
Old 11-01-2002, 03:54 PM
MikeChilson
My Feedback: (2)

Sounds like your aircraft is not balanced laterally (heavier on one side than the other). That will cause it to corkscrew in a loop.
Old 11-01-2002, 04:11 PM
gravityrulz
My Feedback: (2)

dont think it has anything to do with lateral balance, you have too much elevator throw, what its doing is snapping out on you. decrease the low rates and watch it loop
Old 11-01-2002, 04:36 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Could be lateral balance.

Snapping out of a loop is much different than a corkscrew, doubt this is it.

Sounds more like the horizontal stabilizer (or main wing)is not properly aligned. This could be in several forms.

It may not be perpendicular to the rudder, it may not be parallel with the main wing (either up and down or front to back of plane).
Old 11-01-2002, 04:53 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like lateral balance to me too. And it's easy to check.

First, eyeball everything on the plane to make sure everything lines up (stab level with wing, rudder 90degrees to stab and straight front to back, etc.).

Next, find some way to hold the plane by it's prop. You can have someone hold it, or put a loop of string around the prop shaft and suspend it from the ceiling, or even just set the spinner on a can of paint or something.

Next, lift the plane with one finger at the rear-most part of the fuse, and hold the plane level. Let go and see which way it tips, level it again, and let it go. Do this 3 or 4 times to see if it tips the same way each time. If it does, add some weight to the "light" wingtip and try it again.

Keep doing this until the plane either balances, or falls to either side equally. Then attach the weights permanently (I usually put a small hole in the wingtip, epoxy them in, then patch the covering over the hole).

The reason this is so important is that as the plane flies, it wants to tip to the heavy wing, so you trim the ailerons so it flies level (IE the aileron is pushing UP on the heavy wing). But when you go inverted, the aileron is now pushing DOWN on the heavy wing, (which is already wanting to tip down) and the plane will corkscrew.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:53 AM
markus-RCU
My Feedback: (33)

I think your CG is too far back and it is snapping out not corkscrewing. The lateral balance has some to do with this as well but i had experenced the same thing on a 120 Balsa Nova that I wanted to torque roll.I kept moving the cg back to the point where it wanted to snap out when I went to do a loop. You may have a little to much throw in the ele. Add some weight to the nose and see if it doesn"t straighten up.
Markus
my 2cents.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:49 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the coupling between the two elevator half's is slightly limber (lets the elevators twist relative to each half when you move the side with the horn with some resistance on the other half) you will get a small aileron type action at full up. The side with the horn will have more effect than the other side does.
Old 11-10-2002, 02:42 AM
crosswind

In addition to what's already been mentioned, you might want to check your rudder trim. It can be off and the plane seem to fly fine, untill you try a loop. Just a thought...