Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Glow Battery?

Old 10-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Muza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow Battery?

Hi,

I've been trying to figure out a way to keep away from the prop.

In regards to the glow plug, it needs 1.2 Volts to get a decent glow?

Would a D size or C size alkaline battery be able to power the plug through a switch mounted on the side of the fuse with the battery carried internally???

John
Old 10-11-2005, 09:54 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Glow Battery?

If you want to mount a battery on the plane for glow, a sub-c size NiCad would be perfect, much lighter than a C- or D- alkaline cell.

But why not just install a remote glow charger plug. Put it on the side of the fuse back near the wing or cockpit area. Use a standard glow starter, you're away from the prop, no extra battery on the plane (or weight). The plug has one wire that grounds to the engine, and one that goes to the glow plug, and stays attached.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Muza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Glow Battery?

I was thinking about the battery because then all I have to do is flick the switch and I got a glow. Also, it gives something to work with if i have CoG issues

John