Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

mounting engine

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

mounting engine

Old 10-23-2005, 06:43 PM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mounting engine

I mounted my 75 engine in the inverted position on my P-51. Its kind of close when the cowl is in place. My question is, can I lower the engine about 3/4" down. It will be still on the center line of the plane, but lower then center horizonal. Should this pose a problem by lowering it. That way I'll have plenty of room for cowl without buchering it all up. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:56 PM
sbd-5
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: mounting engine

with the cowl mounted and the engine in the lower position how does the spinner line up with the cowl?what about the fuel tank location.it usually needs to be lowered with an inverted engine installation,if you lower the engine more,where is the centerline of the tank in relation to the centerline of the engine?if all will line up ok the go ahead.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:41 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: mounting engine

You will need to make sure all the things that SBD said check out.

I would install the engine at the lower position temporarily and try to run it and see if it does OK.

3/4 of inch seems like a lot to me and I would think you have a hard time getting the spinner to match the cowl if you lowered it that much.

Have you tried rotating the engine a little bit so its not completely inverted (may 30-45 degrees from inverted)? Maybe at an angle the engine will have a little more room because it follows the contour at the top center of the cowl.