Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Revitalizing a fiberglass fuse

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Revitalizing a fiberglass fuse

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 06:53 PM
ludfleet
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revitalizing a fiberglass fuse

I have a (old) ziroli AT-6 fiberglass fuse that has not had any finishing done to it, but because it has been stored for some time,it is showing some aging. By aging I mean it has some checks and dings. I can fix the dents with bulkheads, but not sure what I can use to redo the finish of the resin. Anyone with a similar experience or that has redone one of these have ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Joe
Old 11-04-2005, 07:55 PM
bbbair

Default RE: Revitalizing a fiberglass fuse

Without seeing the type of damage that you are referring too it is a little hard to know what to suggest, but if you are looking to address some minor dings and general deterioration of the surface I have had good success with thin Zpoxy.

1. Buy some methol hydrate (alcohol will work if it's all you can get)
2. Mix up some 30 minute Zpoxy and add the methal hydrate slowly, mixing well untill the zpoxy takes on the consistancy of "Thick Cream" - ONLY DO THIS IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA AND DO NOT SMOKE!!
3. Using a disposible paint brush, paint the fuse with the zpoxy mix.

It will go on as a clear thin coat that will fill in all minor surface scratches and add strength to the fuse and only a minor amount of weight.

Allow to dry overnight (you may want to hang it frome the ceiling), discard the brush.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:08 PM
sbd-5
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Revitalizing a fiberglass fuse

sometimes if you stuff a blown up balloon inside where the dent is it will push it out let it set out in the sun till it gets warm and the dent is pushed out the just move to a shaded area to cool before removing the ballon.you may have to do this more than once but it usually works.as far as the rest any cracks should be fixed with a coat of epoxy resin ,if a large crack some 2 oz cloth and resinn applied inside onerlapping the crack will fix it.otherwise just prime it and san smooth and any small dings fill with spot putty and sand smooth.