Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Shipping large models

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Shipping large models

Old 08-16-2005, 03:21 PM
desilejf
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping large models

WOW, I want to stay within the limits of the RCU guidelines but I am fairly unhappy with one of the shippers we use regularly. Forward Air Inc has destroyed the last to crates I have had dealings with. I shipped a large P 38 to Boston, it ended up in Charleston, then Forward Air had a really difficult time getting it to Boston I think it took 16 days[:@]. When the consignee arrived the crate was destroyed to the point he removed the P 38 and returned home to recrate my SBD and sent it Greyhound. Greyhound was all customer service and smiles.
Yesterday a ventured forth to Forward Airs Portland OR terminal to pick up a bird and from 50 ft I knew I was in big trouble. Destroyed the crate, 3/8 ply and 2 x 4's it was the toughest box I have ever dealt with, destroyed the 96 inch Dragon Rapide inside too. Wings shattered to the nacelles, tail torn completely off and hanging on its pull pull wires. I had a pro builder look it over at lunch and quote me $5000. to repair this bird that was READY to Cover after 10 yrs of building.
The Rapide was insured and I will most certainly keep RCU posted on the outcome of recovering the insurance money which was way short of the repair estimate. I will admit the repair bid was high but a quality builder to take the bird back to coverable is the only option I am willing to take.
I have shipped with Forward Air trouble free but the last to deals were outrageous.
This Rapide was flown and had a minor accident and the builder completly went through the airframe to ZERO SMOH, flawless down to hand tied ribstitch. Forward Air provided me with a disc of their work and if I am not compensated at least to the level I paid for I will post all the Before, yes folks we were very carefull to get about 30 photos on the bench and as the crate was packed. Now this crate had already made 4 moves and was never damaged, what did it take to tear it completley aprt from the base, alot of work on someone part is our combined guess.
Beware, insure, photgraph things , keep every email between buyer and seller. I have two complete sets of emails and dispatched one to the CEO of Forward Air and that got me a Rapide in alot of pieces. Not to mention they tried to get me to sign off site unseen??????? on the item.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:30 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Shipping large models

I tried F/A twice, and both times the crates were damaged. First time they actually crushed a 1/4 scale WACO to point it could not be rebuilt. Looked as if they had set a 2000# crate on top of it. It was insured through F/A and they did pay the claim. The second was a GP Pitts that had a fork-lift fork run thru the crate. Some damage to the tail feathers and a bit of hassle on the claim. I am not sure if it was paid, as the buyer filed it. He emailed for info a couple of times, but I never heard anymore. I assume it was paid.
Got me twice, but never again.[sm=thumbdown.gif]
Old 08-16-2005, 04:19 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I have given up on Wood Boxes for shipping. I ship plane a few times a year to different contests and now only use aluminum. I know its not practical for large custom built planes, and its not cheap to ship this box, but its rock solid.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90860.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	311026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21887.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	311027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57592.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	311028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33913.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	311029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Co80811.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	311030  
Old 08-17-2005, 05:46 PM
desilejf

I'll post again in about ten days when FA has hit their deadline, read their instructions and then hopefully cut a check. That would be happy news. Other types of news will certainly be more entertaining. My attorney has done alot of these cases and he is laughing at FA. He put the final paragraph on enclosure 1 or 9 and nearly 60 pages of data to support the claim. Pretty threatening for FA legal staff just so they understand we know all the contacts to make. Haven't gotten to their bonding agent yet but I will.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Camel_Kid

So, when you go to court, sue for millions for "emotional damage." You can buy SO many planes with a few cool mil!

:P

I like the Aluminum box idea. I'd say, pull the egg crate foam out, grab an arc welder, weld some tabs to the side and build some removable shelves and cover them with some spray adhesive and egg crate foam. That way, you have a spot just for your fuse, and just for your wings, etc.

Better yet, mail it to me, put 20 bucks and shipping charges in the box, and I'll send it back to ya, the way you want it mounted. I have a stick welder, and I can get aluminum rods for it. I can put a divider in there so your planes won't rattle together, I can build straps in there to keep them from moving, I can build a sick box!

- Camel.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:02 PM
desilejf

Well Camel Kid I didn't have to go to court, however I got coached by an excellent litigator and Appeals Court lawyer, they exist.
I will tell you this, if you fail to photograph the airframe going into the box, don't know very very reputable builders who are willing to write appraisals and you aren't aggressive, you won't get paid what you insured for.
I did it, took two months + and some really great letters and nearly 100 pieces of evidence and explanations. I was very fortunate, and I was rude from day one and carried out every threat I made in my initial letter, I also complied with every item the shipper asked for to the letter and then some. Every document was notorized and sent return reciept.
I didn't want milions I wanted the airframe delivered as purchased.