Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

O.S. 26 four stroke What plane?

Old 11-06-2005, 11:14 PM
nitrodan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default O.S. 26 four stroke What plane?

I have recently aquired a os 26 4stroke and have no idea what to put it in any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

N D
Old 11-06-2005, 11:38 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: O.S. 26 four stroke What plane?

Megatech from Hobby People has a Cub that would do. I have one with an OS .30FS and it is overpowered. I also have a couple of .26's and will put one in a Goldberg Jr. Tiger that I have. I got it at a club auction. I think World Models have a small Cub also.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:11 AM
TimC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's a fun little Slow Poke that I have an O.S. .30 in ( a .26 would fly it fine):
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11754.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	350075  
Old 11-07-2005, 12:12 AM
multiflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nitrodan,

What plane depends on what your experience and skill level are? There are many air-frames available for just about any size of power. How far along are you at learning to fly RC??

Multiflyer
Old 11-07-2005, 01:10 AM
nitrodan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ive been flying steadily now for about 3 years ive done a couple of kit builds my latest build was an arf the build thread can be found here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434898 i think what im looking for is a cap ,edge or a giles as far as airobatic goes or a mustang or corsair
Old 11-07-2005, 02:45 AM
Red B.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi!
I'm a great fan of these little engines. Not overly powerful but VERY quiet. My engines seems to lika an APC 10x5 the best.
My favourite aircraft for for this engine is from a RCM plan, Semperfi that was published in 1979.
If you consider a first plan built aircraft this may be it. It's easy to build, very light and can do all sort of aerobatics, except 3D.

Link: [link=http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/0001pf4EBdLi4A4bTY4D2v8/store/store-plans-alpha.html?link=/store/store-plans-catalog-tem.html&item=plans:PL-785]Semperfi[/link]

/Red B.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:41 AM
B.L.E.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Model Airplane News had a free plan for the "Extra 3.25" that looks like it was custom designed just for this engine. I may have to build it one of these days.

Right now, I have an OS .26 in a Great Planes Cub 20. Its quieter than some electrics.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:52 PM
forestroke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the 30 on the WM cub .26 was just about right. i think the 26 will be a little under powered. i tried to get a 40 but couldn't find one (think they stopped making them). the WM cub is the nicest small cub out there.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Tall Paul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lanier kitted the Extra 3.25... the plans version needs parts from Rich Uravitch for the cowl, canopy and wheel pants.
Mine had a K&B 28 in it for its short but very exciting life!
Old 11-09-2005, 07:50 PM
nitrodan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thank you all for you input I have decided on a kit to build i am building a sig super sport 10 its a kit the lhs i work at part time has had in inventory for quite some time it was given to the owner by his father to help get him started in the buisiness the instruction sheet has a copyright date of 1978 thanks again for the help one and all

N D
Old 11-09-2005, 09:05 PM
BWooster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Red B.

Hi!
I'm a great fan of these little engines. Not overly powerful but VERY quiet. My engines seems to lika an APC 10x5 the best.
My favourite aircraft for for this engine is from a RCM plan, Semperfi that was published in 1979.
If you consider a first plan built aircraft this may be it. It's easy to build, very light and can do all sort of aerobatics, except 3D.

Link: [link=http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/0001pf4EBdLi4A4bTY4D2v8/store/store-plans-alpha.html?link=/store/store-plans-catalog-tem.html&item=plans:PL-785]Semperfi[/link]

/Red B.
Red, How does it run? I have a Surpass .40 and it runs absolutely great, and shows no signs of aging either.

I want to get into more small four-strokes.

L
Old 11-09-2005, 09:56 PM
forestroke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i've got an O.S. FS30 and i love it! i'm on my second cub/FS30 combo after selling the first one (avatar). i run a 10x6 master or wooden prop. love it!

i've only got one saito, the 90T and have been trying to get my hands on a 40 but they are hard to come by in hong kong and taiwan.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:37 AM
Red B.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only OS 4-strokes I have are two FS-26 engines. My other 4-strokes are Saitos for no other reason than that is what my local shop carries.
As previously stated I like them a lot. They are easy starting, quiet, doesn't use much fuel and have about the same power as an OS 25LA when using an APC 10x5 prop. The oldest of the engines is approx. 10 years and have run for approximately 80 hours. So far nothing has worn out.
If I could keep only one engine this may very well be it (or maybe an OS 46 SF).
As for fuel, I run it on 80% methanol 15% synthetic oil and 5% nitro. I don't use castor oil at all for any of my engines except for running them in.

Take good care of your Os FS-26 and it will serve you very well!

/Red B.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:02 PM
donkey doctor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello; I have 3 OS 26's, and like them very much. In the past I have used a 26 in; a speedy bee, a Pixie bipe, a GB Freedom 20, an Ace 4 20, a GP Slo-poke, an Eglet, and probably a few others that I can't remember just now. I have only seen one worn out to the point where it needs a new piston and liner. That engine must have been abused sometime in it's life (run too lean) as the liner was dull gray in two spots, and the cam had noticeable wear on the lobes, and on the thrust ball. I don't think you can change the cam bushings, so I didn't try to fix it.

My experience is that they are a very good engine, not fuel fussy, easy to tune and run, very quiet. As long as you don't try to run it too lean, it will last forever. Good luck on your build.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:18 AM
multiflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ND,

Sounds like yor skills are up for whatever plane you choose. Just remember that the small planes really need to be made as light as possible for great flight performance. Compare weight and wing loading to other .20 size planes you see out there flying. This will show you where you need to be with your project.

Multiflyer
Old 01-05-2006, 12:16 AM
dougtx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have two O.S. FS-26's on a TwinStar, I had some problems with one of the engines surging at full throttle, it turned out it was the 9x6 prop's i was running, I put a 10x5 and they run like a champ and with seperate throttles mixed on channel 3 and 6 i can synch them up in flight. I used channel 6, the flap channel, because it has a trim feature that will allow me to trim out the idle settings seperatly for each engine.