Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Tower Hobbies .46 Mufflers Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tower Hobbies .46 Mufflers Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 01:07 PM
yee-ha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Hobbies .46 Mufflers Question

HEy everybody. I have a Tower .46 and the muffler vibrated apart and landed somewhere in the back 40. I have always hated that big ugly thing. Question.... What mufflers will fit this engine? Is it the same pattern as a OS something or other? I have never been able to buy a pitts muffler, or different muffler because I have never seen one made for this specific engine. Are any other engines with the same bolt and port pattern? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Tower Hobbies .46 Mufflers Question

The Tower muffler will fit on OS and Thunder Tiger engines, so I would assume that OS and Thunder Tiger mufflers will fit on the Tower engine. I would think twice about replacing it though. The Tower muffler works like a tuned pipe and adds power to the engine (or so I am told). I know of poeple that have replaced their OS and Thunder Tiger mufflers with Tower mufflers for this reason.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:34 PM
bhole74

I run a 46 FX muffler on my Tower 46, more power and better fuel draw, it even helped with the midrange dead zone.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the .40-.52 size range engines, the OS, Tower, Magnum, Thunder Tiger, GMS, Tiger Shark, SK and probably others have the same muffler bolt spacing. Any muffler for any of these engines will fit any other engine. As has been mentioned, the Tower muffler does act as a tuned muffler, adding, in my experiments, 800-1200 rpm depending on prop. On 3D size props, 12.25-3.75, I got 800 rpm. if you change to an OS style muffler, expect to lose power.

Super Tigre, Webra do have this same spacing.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:32 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done the swap. I put the Tower muffler on a TT Pro -- KAZOOM. I put the TT muffler on the Tower 46 --- THUD.

You will certainly lose power, although you may have fewer flame-outs.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:13 PM
yee-ha

Hmmm. Thanks for the input guys! Its good to know all these different mufflers will work. I kinda figured that the other mufflers would tone this engine down a few notches. It is a rocket with the tower muffler! I might just have to get another tower muffler. Anyone want to buy the engine off me so I don't have to buy a new muffler?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Villa

This is the information you need. I have seen many Tower Hobbies mufflers fall off. I have also seen many other makes of mufflers fall off. Use Loctite on all of the threads, including the muffler pressure tap, after cleaning the threads, male and female. If you stop here the muffler will still fall off. Get a tube of Silicone Automotive Adhesive or Gasket, and use it on all of the muffler surfaces: The flange to the engine, both ends of the muffler center section, both ends of the long central bolt. This will work perfect for maybe 6 months or longer. If you see any leaks anywhere on the muffler, it is time to redo the whole thing. I have been flying since 1974. I do not recall loosing a flanged muffler. At our field we loose a lot of mufflers. I have repeated this story many times. Some people make this a low priority. My engines quit so rarely that I make poor emergency landings.