Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Cutting Fiberglass Cowl

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cutting Fiberglass Cowl

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 07:30 PM
David Shaffer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting Fiberglass Cowl

Dear RCU,

I am getting ready to cut a new fiberglass cowl for my Lanier Stinger .60. What is the easiest way to cut the cowl to fit my engine? I am using a OS .91 four stroke for power. Any help with this cowl fitting job would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

David Shaffer
Old 11-09-2005, 08:31 PM
DaveB

Default RE: Cutting Fiberglass Cowl

IMO the best method is to tape a piece of light cardboard, e.g. from a manila folder or similar, and with the engine in place, tape the card board to the side of the fuselage so it covers the parts of the engine that will protrude through the cowl. Then, cut the card board to allow the engine to extend through the cowl as needed. Finally, transfer the cardboard opening to the cowl and cut as needed.

There have been posts on this subject quite recently; I would recommend a search to find the posts which are explained in better detail than what I have provided.

DaveB
Old 11-09-2005, 09:42 PM
linclogs

There's a good article of how to fit and cut a cowl in the latest issue of Model Airplane News. I just received my copy in the mail today.

linclogs
Old 11-10-2005, 10:16 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other thing I would suggest.

To minimize/prevent "chipping" of the gel coat, put some masking tape over the areas to be cut, make you marks on the tape and cut it slightly UNDERSIZE. The use a tapered stone on a dremel to bring the opening out to the correct size. The masking tape, while making the stone more difficult to clean after, will minimize/prevent chipping.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:28 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the large and small sanding discs on the dremel. Mark the hole out approx where it needs to be, start way small and sneak up on it. Draw your lines with a good felt tip pen and work slow to get the lines right. use the small one for tight curves, the large one for the rest. I don't have chipping problems doing it this way, but have used masking tape as stated on some to make sure no chips. Works well