Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Cleaning fuel off plane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cleaning fuel off plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 02:11 AM
allyric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning fuel off plane

Does anyone know the formula with ammonia to take fuel off your glow engine plane,
I heard some one at the flying field talking about a special mixtue. I just use windex, but I'm getting the feeling its not getting truely clean.
Rick
Old 11-11-2005, 02:16 AM
SoonerAce
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Cleaning fuel off plane

Simple Green and Iso Alcohol works for me,,,,,,1/3 SG 1/3 Alc 1/3 water.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:08 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

The secret is the towels. Use Viva towels. They are more like cloth and are much more absorbant. They will remove all the residue. And about every 6 months or maybe a year, I will polish the plane with Monokote polish. It really brings back the shine and protects the Monokote. It is probably a good idea to use it when the model is brand new. I have models that are 10 and 11 years old and they look like new. But I spend about 15 minutes cleaning them after a day of flying. I turn on the TV and take my time.
I use windex. A lot of folks don't seem to like it. But I get good results. I might not actually buy the Windex brand name. I'll buy anything blue that looks like windex. Often the store's generic brand is much cheaper and works just as well.
What ever you decide to use, do yourself a favor and try the Viva towels.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:12 AM
WCB

I have been mixing 90% rubbing alcohol, water and a small amount of Dawn dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle. It works about as good as anything I have tried. You can get 90% Isopropyl alcohol at any drug store. Wipe the heavy oil residue of the plane first with a rag then wipe it down good with the mixture on a clean rag.
WCB