Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Removing varnish on 4 strokes??

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Removing varnish on 4 strokes??

Old 11-08-2005, 07:22 PM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing varnish on 4 strokes??

Hello all, I would like to know the best way/ best product for removing years of built up varnish on a 4 stroke. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:25 PM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Removing varnish on 4 strokes??

It seems like the popular way is to submerge it in a crockpot full of antifreeze and let it cook overnight!
I am trying it for the first time as we "speak" on an old O.S. 40 FSR.
We'll see...
JLK
Old 11-08-2005, 11:30 PM
mirwin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's part of a thread here on RCU that might be helpful:

Cleaning a Model Engine

can any one out there tell me where i can buy a good model engine cleaner
thanks vic
Go to an auto store and buy carby cleaner (CRC product) works great.
I guess the proper question is 'What part of the engine do you want to clean?'

The Carburator?, Muffler?, head?, all of the above? - Why?

There are many cleaners and plans out there - some even work without damaging the engine

If you do a search of the RCU for "Antifreeze" you will get a number of excellent descriptions of how to "Cook off" the built up varnish off of an engine using an old crock pot and antifreeze. Just be carful, one fellow mentioned that the chunks of carnish came off ok - but then fouled up the tiny fuel ports inside of the engine. Be sure to disassemble the engine first and then wipe it down thoroughly afterwards.

Other methods can damage the metals that you are cleaning. . . personally - if the engine is working well but it just doesn't look 'PRETTY' I prefer to leave well enough alone.
look to the nitro r/c car cleaning stuff. Nitro clean is a good one. Good for a quick hose off.
Once a quarter I'll tear the engine off the model and take apart the carb and clean everything out good with carb cleaner
This is a great question! I wish I could find the information .... but ... there was a process of using anti-freeze and a small slow cooker (like a crock pot) and letting the engine stew overnight. I believe the mixture was a 50/50 solution with water. I saw some pics once and you couldn't tell the cleaned engine from a new one.
I've never heard of antifreeze. If my engines get really fowled, but more for junkers I'll pick up. I'll tear the engine down all the way. I'll get a casorole dish and fill it with castor oil and bake it at 350 for a half an hour to an hour. the engines come out like new every time. I'd still repace the bearing at this point if bad. get em pretty cheap from boca bearing or fagg bearing
I use only straight synthetic oil in my fuel, 20 years in the hobby NEVER burnt up an engine and NEVER had to clean one.
Denatured alcohol works awesome! I mix it 2 parts water to 1 part alcohol and spray it on after every flight or time I go out to the field. It evaporates away leaving the crud on your garage floor! Makes a nice make-your-wife -slip-and-fall product.
A 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water in a never to be used again for food crockpot on low and they come out like new after a 12 to 24 hour bath. High can discolor the aluminum so just use low. Sometimes I brush the real thick caked on with a tooth brush a couple of times during the cleaning process to speed it up.
I tried some of the $10-$12 demon clean and it did nothing.
FEB
I have never tried the dishwashing powder or the anti-freeze in the crock pot. But what I have had very excellent results over the years was with something you buy in an auto parts store. It's called Aircraft Coating Remover or Aircraft Paint Remover. Over the years different companies have labled it with different names. It's specifically for Aluminum and other metals. In the past I used the Demon Engine cleaner but that stuff was costly for a small can. But with the Coating Remover you get a 32 oz. can for about $11.00. It works great, no greying and all you do is brush or spray it on, wait about 15 minutes and then you just rinse it off with cold water. I got mine in Checker Auto under the name of Tal-Strip II Aircraft Coating Remover.
Try this site:
http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...aintenance.htm

Mike
Old 11-09-2005, 07:26 AM
jlkonn

Here's what I did and here are my results...
I bought a cheap 2qt crockpot at Walmart.
No temp control, only on or off.
It cost $9
I used undiluted Prestone antifreeze.
I let it cook for about 16 hours.
The antifreeze evidently was too hot and caused a darkening of the finish.
Is it ruined?
No.
Do I wish it hadn't done it?
Yes.
It did remove a lot of the dirt but ignoring the deepening of the engine color it doesn't look new.
Was it worthwhile?
I think I'll write off the $9 crockpot as a failed experiment and go for one with at least two temp settings.
I have a couple other old engines I may try to clean up this engine so I'll probably try it again with diluted antifreeze and cooler temps.
JLK
Old 11-09-2005, 11:45 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Ok, I guess we will keep experimenting, there has to be a " solution" out there. Has anyone tried acetone?[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 11-09-2005, 06:25 PM
redfox435cat

get about 2 qts of castor oil and that castor oil not castrol oil. Alsoo get an old casorole dish. partialy tear down the engine. remove exuast carb backplate and valve cover and plug.
set oven to 350 degrees and bake for about 1.5 hours. get out the tooth brush and scrub it lighly. then bake another 3 hours. should be like new