Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Strange Power Issue - Ideas?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Strange Power Issue - Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 10:17 AM
BoogieMan2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Power Issue - Ideas?

A while back (september to be exact) I was in California visiting family and met a seemingly extrodinarily friendly modeler. After meeting with him and telling him my recent interest and initiation into the hobby he quickly offered his time and resources to me during my stay there. The two of us went flying once and he let my fly a great Cessna 182 - it was incredible! Flew like a champ! The plane at half throttle flew like a Cessna should, and at full throttle was able to pull off manuevers that seemed unlikely for such a bird... Anyway, this guy let my kids fly on the buddy box (a trainer model) and even let my father-in-law fly and was so patient and kind we were all amazed... Enough with the introduction and now, on with the issue at hand...

To make a long story short, I ended up purchasing three (3) of this guys planes. They arrived via grayhound (which i wouldn't suggest to anyone, as every single stabilizer was busted) and I enthusiastically prepared them all for flight.

The Cessna which flew incredibly was taken to the flying field just this past saturday. I don't have a buddy box plug on the TX so an instructor agreed to "get the plane up" and then let me "take the sticks". Well, the take off was horrible to say the least! I took the ENTIRE length of the runway to get off the ground and even then was questionable. Once the plane was in the air the tail was dragging like a porpose! I flew horrible!!!! The instructor landed the plane well (how, i have NO idea!) and proceded to tell me "It seems sooooo tail heavy.". We check the CG and it turned out to be okay... He then determined the plane is "terribly under-powered."

This is completely different then what I witnessed in CA before the plane was sent to me!

If anyone has any ideas as to what would cause this, and or how I can rectify this unexplicable "power loss", I would greatly appreciate your input. Please help...

Thanks in advance. - Boogieman2
Old 11-14-2005, 10:44 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Strange Power Issue - Ideas?

It would help us help you if we knew the following

What engine is it
What fuel are you using
Who makes the plane (manufacturer)
Did the gentlemen give you the same engine he was using
Are you using the same prop on the same engine he was using.
Is the throttle servo opening the carb all the way. (assuming you used your own radio setup and not his)
Was there any damage to the front of the plane

We can certainly help but we need this info to better help you determine the cause
Old 11-14-2005, 11:44 AM
BoogieMan2

bubbagates,
Thanks for your inquiry. I can answer the questions only to the best of my knowledge since I am an abvious novice to this hobby.

Engine - I think it is a .40 or a .46 (not really sure)

Fuel - Wildcat 15%

Manufacturer of the aircraft - Great Planes

Did the gentlemen send the same engine - I can only hope, but I don't know. As much as I don't like to admit it, that was the first thing that crossed my mind. I don't want to pass judgement on him after all, that is not my place. I didn't actually see the engine when i was there. He never "cracked" open the cowling while I was present so therefore I have no point of reference. I can only hope that he is honest and did not do such a thing.

Is it the same prop - Again, It was shipped with the prop already installed. I think it is the same but... I really don't know. It appears to be about a 10-6 or the like.

Throttle - He sent the transmitter with the plane and engine. This thing was ready to fly. I am using what I believe to be the same setup I saw in when I was with him in California.

Damage to the front - None. There was only damage to the right rear stabilizer which I have since repaired.

I know that is a dearth of information and I ask that you forgive my ignorance as I am quite the newbie in this hobby. I hope that is enough to help. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2005, 11:56 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to apologize at all....we all have to start somewhere

Now I have some info on it. If all things are the same, which they appear to be.

I would check this in this order. Getr experienced help at the field if at all possible.

Change the glow plug... Do this anyway, it could not hurt.

Verify the engine is in tune. Unless you know how to do this then you will need someone local to show you how.

If the fuel you are using is old or is what he sent with it, replace it. Before you do go to the field and see if someone will loan you a tank of fuel to try first. Most people are really nice so that should not be too hard
Old 11-14-2005, 12:44 PM
sbd-5
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

what altitude are you flying at in va versus ca?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:17 PM
BoogieMan2

Thanks for the information bubbagates, I will change the plug, and get some help with the other issues from the guys at my club and keep you posted. Thanks again.

As for the elevation sbd-5 - after some research i have found the the elevation in oceanside ca is 28 and the elevation in leesburg va is 389. I suppose this can or will cause some issue?
Old 11-14-2005, 02:39 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

350 Feet isn't going to cause any issue. What size of airplane is it? Wingspan, fuse length, weight of plane? What size prop? What brand. Take the prop off and look on the hub--it should have some numbers. Is it a black plastic prop, gray plastic, wooden? Find out exactly what engine it is as well. More info is needed to actually help you solve your issues. While the altitude isn't an issue, temp might be. If it is substantially colder where you are, then you might be out of tune. However, if your trainer took it off, I'm assuming it was in tune--at least to the ear, or he would have noticed it before takeoff!
Old 11-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Ron Kinsey

BoogieMan,
Although "Great Planes" sells "combos" with under powered engines.(my guess is, that's what Your Guy purchased) I don't think that is your real problem. If the engine got it off the ground flying crappy like that, it still should not have drug the tail and been uncontrollable.
Great Planes sell awesome planes and all are proven designs.
First, I'd check the incidence of the wing, and the horizontal stab. If they seem OK, then I'd start by adding a few oz. of lead to the nose. You can't always believe the manual on this.

Good Luck!!
Old 11-15-2005, 09:12 AM
BoogieMan2

Ron,
That sounds like great advice. I will be sure to do exactly what you said. THANKS!!!