Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Muffler Manf. should list....

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Muffler Manf. should list....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Manf. should list....

I recently purchased a Pitts style mufffler for a side-mounted Saito 100 FS. Imagine my surprise when I tried to tighten the bolts to the exhaust port and the muffler body would not clear the standard engine mount!!!!. Unfortunately after some bad installation advice I had a non-returnable item.

Would anybody else like the muffler makers of the world to list the overall dimensions of the muffler's they sell. I don't want to pick on anyone exactly but if you go to their web sites and try to find out the basics, some maker's do not even show a picture. Maybe they have a Slim Line of products to offer or they need a better web page.

I am not taking exception to the products themselves, they all are great and well made. All I ask is make muffler buying a little easier for those of us trying to take the next step in this hobby by making less-risky purchases.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Newc

Default RE: Muffler Manf. should list....

I've found that a call to the company making the parts for our hobby have always been extremely helpful in cases such as you describe, and will give you whatever dimensions you request. They may even fax the information to you if you desire. All that I've found to be necessary is to call and ask.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:17 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know what ya mean. The Bisson pittsa mufflers for the TH .75 will just barely clear the engine mount. Actually, they don't clear it. They rub on the mount. Thats too close. It would be nice if they would add about 1/8" of meat to the mounting flange. Of course--that would probably DOUBLE the price.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Mikel-t

JCNewc, yeah I agree, but that was after I had purchased and mounted it to find out the error of the fit! The trial and error aspect of this hobby is IMHO the MOST frustrating. If someone is selling alternate parts all I'm saying is "put some info out there for the consumer" . Seems to me I can't be the only buyer that finds out a standard engine mount will not work using this ____ muffler. Am I asking too much, I don't think so.

Mikel-T

Old 11-15-2005, 07:48 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mikel-T,
Actually, it sounds like you got an out-of-spec muffler from them. It's pretty far out of the norm for a mfg to offer a piece that doesn't fit the engine on the standard mount. But what the heck, if they are selling such a marginally useful thing, the average consumer would expect that the muffler's packaging would have a warning on it somewhere.

In spite of your having possibly bent the muffler, if I were you, I'd call them and talk it over. Noone would ever expect to purchase a muffler that wouldn't fit the engine when it's on the engine's standard mount unless the packaging warns of that major restriction.

I'd bet if you called and cordially discussed what you encountered, that they'd work with you.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:03 PM
Mikel-t

Darock: you know something, your absolutely right! THe real story was I did call ( e-mailed) and described the problem with the tech support person and for a few days we went back and forth. I just could not get it through my head that this thing was not fitting a standard mount from H9 using a Saito 100. I've read hundreds of ARF reviews in all the top mag's and each time this brand of muffler is mentioned the author would casually say " Then I opted for the Pitts side-exhuast on the big Saito and headed to the field" come-on! SO when the techie told me to try putting a little concave bend in it...I relented and that was the worst thing I could have done. I never got the angle correct so I wound up almost crushing the thing. BTW there was no mention on the package that I would need any extra extensions, I would have gladly purchased one if there had been. SO has this kind of thing ever happened to anyone else OR is it just my dumb bad luck? I'm going back to the source on this since I did save all the e-mails!