Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 12:09 AM
aegis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering Question

I'm going to be covering a 1/3 scale plane and am wondering what people use as a straight-edge to get a nice clean cut on very long sweeping arcs? Once I thought about it I realized that my design patterns have always between straight edges that are connected with fairly small arcs. On those I could use something like a glass or even a cooking pot to give me a cutting guide that couldn't be cut in to with an X-acto.

Thanks for any information.

Dan
Old 11-18-2005, 12:21 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Covering Question

pots and pans along with cardboard templates or trace the design out using an overhead projector
Old 11-18-2005, 12:38 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second cardboard, or rather mat board. You can sand the edge to get it smooth. I just used this method last week. You can also trace the line on the peel-off backing with a Sharpie and then carefully cut with sharp scissors.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:15 PM
aegis

pots and pans along with cardboard templates or trace the design out using an overhead projector
I second cardboard, or rather mat board. You can sand the edge to get it smooth. You can also trace the line on the peel-off backing with a Sharpie and then carefully cut with sharp scissors.
Thanks for the ideas guys!

Dan
Old 11-18-2005, 04:47 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In order to get the arch you want you can also use a pencil with a string tied to it to mark your template. ENJOY !! RED
Old 11-18-2005, 04:49 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In order to get the arch you want you can also use a pencil with a string tied to it to mark your template. ENJOY !! RED