Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Painting Canopy Frame

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Painting Canopy Frame

Old 11-18-2005, 12:02 AM
aegis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Canopy Frame

I like to paint a "frame" on my canopies but sometimes run into trouble when removing the tape. It's almost like there is some sort of reaction between the tape and paint that leaves "something" behind after removing the tape. I say "something" because you can't feel it, and something like denatured alcohol won't remove it, but you can see something that almost looks like etching in the plastic. I've tried masking tape, the blue tape used by body shops, and even electrical tape. It doesn't do it everytime but I don't really like having to buy additional canopies when it does. Has anyone had this happen? What type of tape do you use?

Dan
Old 11-18-2005, 12:37 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Painting Canopy Frame

I generally use pin stripe tape on the edge, then regular masking tape everywhere else. A little WD40 on a paper towel will remove most any residue. Then you need to clean off the WD40 with a little windex.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:13 AM
mcarleno

What kind of paint? Spray Paint like lustrekote and others may react with the plastic use for the canopy. Though you may not get paint under the tape because the particle are heaveir and larger, you may get solvent that bleads under, the tape. It is often the paints solvent that causes this minor "etching". There are a few types of paint that you can use a a primer that are not real aggressive on plastic. Kilz works pretty good and grips plastic farily well, both Rustoleum and Krylon have plastic primers, but I personnaly like to hand paint the first layer, then after it dries, then spray. If your worried about paint pull up leaving the masking on for a while, then a good #11 blade arround the edges will help.

If you are going to just spray, use a very, very light coat the first spray, almost a mist. Then another very light coat on the second, Now the edges of the maksing should be sealed and you can be a little more liberal with the paint.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:12 PM
aegis

What kind of paint?
The last canopy I painted was with matching 21st Century paint. I've had the same thing happen sometimes when painting cowls that have multiple colors. When removing the tape you could see an "etch" in the paint that had been taped over. The problem with the etching occuring on the canopy is it is in the clear area that was taped off so once the tape is removed it is quite visible.

I generally use pin stripe tape on the edge, then regular masking tape everywhere else.
I tried that before also. I didn't see any etching where the pin stripe tape was but could see it where the masking tape had been. Very strange, and exasperating.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Dan