Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Custom fuel tanks

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Custom fuel tanks

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 11:47 AM
asmithnc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom fuel tanks

I went looking for custom built tanks and came up empty. I decided to make one for myself and want to see what others have built. I would love to see your custom set-ups. Andy

Old 11-16-2005, 02:31 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Custom fuel tanks

If both of those are tractors, then my money is on the two bladed one!
Old 11-16-2005, 03:54 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used 16oz, 20oz, and 32oz Coke bottles as fuel tanks. Throwing them against a brick wall full of water does not break a Coke bottle. Titebond 8oz glue bottles are the same size as Sullivan 8oz oval tanks. I am also getting ready to use a pair of 4oz oval Elmer’s glue bottles. No one makes a 4oz oval tank. A 6oz oval tank is preferred.

Hope the information helps.

Bill
Old 11-18-2005, 02:32 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Made two tin tanks for my Marutaka DC-3 because of lack of space for the retrackts.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33654.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	356428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49618.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	356429  
Old 11-18-2005, 04:58 PM
linclogs

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos to show (of the tank) but I have made my own custom tanks out of tin stock (ala controlline style). I save all my empty tin cans (like what paint thinnner comes in) and just cut and solder up whatever shape I need. I even made a tapered oval tank once to fit a custom power pod on a Jetco Navigator seaplane. There was no way I was going to find one pre-built to fit my needs so I made my own. I also made a ring (using coat hanger wire) and soldered it to the inside of the front of the tank, around a hole that was the same size as the hole in a poly tank where the stopper fits into for a clunk type of set-up. Also soldered in a vent tube (also controlline tank style). It worked flawlessly.

Here's a photo of the much modified Navigator. It was designed as a single-channel, with 1/2A engine (no throttle). I modified it to 4-channel (Ail, Rud, Elev and Throt) and used a Fox .25 R/C for power. Covered in silk and dope. It was a true amphibian as where you see the "retracted" wheels, they could be removed and struts with wheels could be installed for ground operation. It also had a tailwheel strut and the strut had a water rudder soldered onto it for use when on the water. It was a real kick.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60355.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	356449  
Old 11-18-2005, 05:08 PM
retnavycdr
My Feedback: (190)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ASMITHNC: What is that material you used for the tanks on the test stand? Is it a green plastic? Is it intended strictly for test stands, or have you tried it in a plane yet?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:31 PM
asmithnc

The material used on the tank is Poly Carbonate. It's 1/4 thick and it is made up a seven pieces with 53 tapped 2/56 screws and sealed with rtv. Just fired up the motors and pressure tested the tank. It worked... short stupid video of the break-in http://www.rc-airboats.com/gallery/a...k_Test_001.wmv

The stand is not a test stand but a stand for an airboat. A push pull set-up with two OS .46 ax. This is my test stand