Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Rehinge Job

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 12:27 AM
mykafone
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rehinge Job

Yesterday i had a small incident where i almost lost my elevator while flying - - 4 of 6 hinges(CA) ripped in half and my elevator was barely hanging on as i landed - -- i know that you should really not rehinge in the same spot as the old hinges - - but that concerns me because that would mean that my outer most hing would be like 2" away from the end.. Is that too far?? I really like the ease of ca hinges but now im a little worried they wont hold up again - is there a hinge that would work well in the old hinge spot or do you think it would be ok just to rehinge in a new location or over the old spot??

Old 11-18-2005, 06:28 AM
shag555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rehinge Job

Use Robart hinge points. I don't know how small your plane is... Check at the LHS.

MPB
Old 11-18-2005, 08:13 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have re hinged in the old location but CA hinges might not be the correct hinges to use. The wood is already soaked with CA, which might be a problem. Usually it is a lot of trouble to cut a slot in the old location. A diamond-coated steel cut off wheel can be used to cut the slot but the slot is then somewhat wider than it should be for CA hinges. I often like to use a flat plastic hinge with a #1 self-taping screw so the control surface will be removable.

Bill
Old 11-18-2005, 09:27 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can use Robart Hinge points, or make some covering hinges as shown:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29872.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	356288