Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Alternatives to CA ????????

Old 11-19-2005, 12:21 PM
C_Heath

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Alternatives to CA ????????

Im in the middle of a build, LHS is 40 miles away. Isnt there something at a lowes or Walmart I can use in CA's place? 2 or 3 types of glues at lowes hardware contain Cyanoacrylate. Just asking.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2005, 12:34 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Alternatives to CA ????????

You should be able to buy some kind of CA at Lowes. It'll probably cost a lot.

Or you can spend a couple of bucks on an 8 oz bottle of Titebond or Elmer's wood glue. Heck, even regular Elmer's will work.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:54 PM
C_Heath

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wont that take forever to dry?
Old 11-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The resin glues like Titebond and Elmers will be set up enough for handling in 30 minutes tops. I'm using Titebond to build a 1/4 scale Tiger Moth and the stuff is great. It gives you time to make adjustments before the parts are locked together. You don't get that option with CA.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:41 PM
C_Heath

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what about loctite quicktite?
Old 11-19-2005, 03:01 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wouldn't think twice about driving 40 miles to get glue if it meant using a substitute I wasn't familiar with. A 2oz bottle is what, $3.00 or so? Buy a couple extra and when you open the last one, re stock so you're not running out at a bad time. Bite the bullet and get in the car, already...
Old 11-19-2005, 03:12 PM
C_Heath

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lol
Old 11-19-2005, 03:17 PM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: C_Heath
what about loctite quicktite?
It is CA of some sort. The loctite web site says it will bond paper to paper, among other things.
You can find it here and read about it to see if you think it fits your need.
http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm
Old 11-19-2005, 03:34 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chris,
Stick to CA. It soaks into the wood and makes a bons so strong that the wood actually breaks before the glue will seperate.

Just order some from Tower Hobbies today, and pay the extra $$ for 2 or 3 day shipping. You'll have it by Monday or Tuesday.

Or try www.balsapr.com Search for "glue" and scroll down to the bottom of the page for 1--2--8--and 16 oz bottles of thin, medium, or thick CA. Thay also list accelerator in the 80z refilkl bottles. Decent prices.

You can get superglue at wal-mart or any big box warehouse.. It will be thicker, and extremely expensive, but it will work.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:14 PM
js3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man, you guys talk like CA is the only thing you can use to put two pieces of balsa together. This is like saying you can't make scrambled eggs because your wire whisk is in the dishwasher. I guess I must be older than dirt because when I started in this hobby CA didn't exist--at least for the sake of model building.

Lest you be deceived, resin glues like Titebond and Elmer's soak into the pores of the wood and create "bons (sic) so strong that the wood actually breaks before the glue will seperate (sic)" just like CA. Even epoxy soaks into the pores of the wood being glued together.

Grab life by the horns! Live a little! Try something different! You just might find that in certain circumstances, there might be a better option than CA.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:39 PM
IronCross

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used to use Tite Bond but got tired of trying to sand the darn stuff... It just tends to gum up ... I have switched to Elmers ProBond now... It is sandable, sets nice and stronger then the wood.. Has worked great so far.. Still use a little CA though when I get impatient..
Old 11-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The problem is that those glues all take a long time to set up.

C Heath is in a hurry, and wants to get this thing framed as much as possible over the weekend.

If your in a hurry, ya can't beat CA.

I really don't use anything BUT CA and epoxy to build. Unless I'm sheeting foam wings--then I like contact cement, finishing resin (epoxy), Gorilla glue, or any polyurethane based glue.

Building kits is fun and rewarding, but I DO want to finish it sometime this year. I just haven't got the patience to wait 30 minutes for every joint to dry.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:46 PM
C_Heath

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Its not like I want to fly it this weekend, but I do like to see progress. I got some loctite, it has CA, looks, smells and has the same contents for the mostpart as LHS CA and Im gonna use that.

I think it wil lbe ok.

*Shrugs Shoulders*
[:-]
Old 11-19-2005, 07:03 PM
js3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet
If your in a hurry, ya can't beat CA.
Very true. Point conceded.

But often, in fact most times, you can move on to the next step in the building process while the "slow" glue sets up on the joints where you've applied it.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:11 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I quit using CA about a year ago. It was the best thing I ever did. I feel that my builds are better now that I'm not using CA. I use Elmer's Carpenter's Glue, and I love it. Yes, it does take longer to set than CA but I think that makes me a better builder. The extra time that it takes for the glue to set gives me time to make sure everything it properly aligned and in place. CA leaves hard lumps that are next to impossible to sand which makes it hard to finish the plane properly. Plus, now that I'm not using CA anymore I don't have a hard time breathing or no more runny eyes.

If you plan ahead a little bit using wood glue won't slow you down at all. You can start on the next steps while the glue is setting. I for one won't use CA again.

Ken
Old 11-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The loctite CA is fine I have used it a bunch its not any thicker than medium CA if you buy it in the little transparent bottle. Its probably a little more expensive but cheaper than gas to the LHS.

I have started building more with wood glue and agree overall it is better. I t gives you more time to setup and you have time to move the piece if you didnt put it on perfect and it is just as strong.

I use Titebond and a hobby syringe to apply the appropriate amounts of glue. Clamp it and in less than an hour you can move on. I find that as I am working by the time I end up glue everything together for one step the first pieces are already dried. So the wood glue doesnt slow me down all that much.

Plus it doesnt stink up the house!

IMO driving 40 miles and spending 10 bucks in gas for CA is just silly. By that time you could have glued all your joints with wood glue and they would have already set,
Old 11-20-2005, 08:33 AM
IronCross

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RCKen
Can you sand the Elmers capenter glue ?... I have started useing Elmers ProBonc which is more expensive but sandable... Really like it so far.. Darn Titebond would gum up when sanding and the little "gum balls" would make grooves in the balsa..
Like you I started using wood glue primarily a few years ago and am really happy with it... I have also eliminated 99 percent of my epoxy usage also... I use the Elmers to join wings and mount tail feathers etc and it holds just fine.. Lot easyier to clean up too when it gets on the covering..
Old 11-20-2005, 03:21 PM
jeffk464

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ive been using carpenter glue extensively on my top flite 190. To by honest I cant tell any difference beteen sanding pure balsa or balsa with joint bonded with carpernters glue. When I use CA I have to be very careful when sanding or things come out very uneven.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:02 PM
IronCross

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great, guess I will have to try that... Not quite as expensive and the Elmers ProBond..