Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ultracote.....Who makes it?

Old 11-19-2005, 03:14 PM
BUZZINCADMAN
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Ultracote.....Who makes it?

Okay, I've been away from the hobby for many years now and I'm getting back into building again. After reading some of the forums I've decided to give Ultracote a try. I've previously used Monokote for years but it sounds like they changed the formula and messed it up. I also determined they don't have the color I want (trans. purple) anyhow. I have found some places that sell Ultracote on the net but no hobby shops that carry it locally. Can anyone tell me who manufactures Ultracote so I can learn more about them?
Are you listening TopFlight???
Old 11-19-2005, 03:29 PM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Ultracote.....Who makes it?

Top Flite's major film covering brand is Monokote; the direct competitor of Ultracote.

The US distributor for Ultracote is Horizon Hobby and they market it under the Hangar 9 brand.

You can buy directly from Horizon at www.horizonhobby.com
Quantum Models www.quantummodels.com also sells it. Quantum offers free shipping on orders of $125 or higher, Horizon doesn't offer free shipping as far as I know.

The actual manufacturer is in Europe and the product is marketed in many countries as Oracover. When you unroll Ultracote, the printing on the backing paper says Oracover.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:44 PM
BUZZINCADMAN
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:45 PM
linclogs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm looking at the lable/instruction sheet from a roll of Cub Yellow Ultracoat I have and it says, Carl Goldberg Models, Chicago, Il. Also says it's made in Germany on the label. It says Oracover on the backing. There is no copyright date shown on the label/instructions so not sure when ths roll was made but I got it several years ago. Did someone buy the U.S. distributer rights from Goldberg Models recently?
Old 11-20-2005, 12:38 AM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Horizon has been the US distributor for at least 3 years. Two of the hobby shops in my area still have some rolls with the Goldberg brand but they are fairly ugly colors that may never sell.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:51 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, Goldberg was the original US Distributor, but when they weny Belly Up a few years ago, Horizon aquired the distributorship
Old 11-21-2005, 03:32 AM
linclogs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Goldberg went belly up? I just checked and there is still a website for them, only now it's called, "Carl Goldberg Products LTD." The website also has a statement that starts off saying, "Since 1956, CGP has been a leading producer of model rc airplanes..." But the address is now shown as Oakwood, GA., and they don't list Ultracoat as a product anymore. I think I ordered the roll I have from Sheldon's Hobbies about 2 years ago but Sheldon's doesn't list it anymore either.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:52 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any LHS that is a distributor of Horizon (i.e. sells hanger 9 stuff) should also stock ultracote. It's nice stuff to work with. It's the covering of choice for me now--for all new projects. I only use monocote to fix what I have (color matches and heating differences), and when ultracote doesn't have the color that I want. Ultracote will shrink like there is no tomorrow. The first experience we had was when we used the aluminum (we all know how hard aluminum is to work with), and it made us look like a pro (which we most certainly are not!)
Old 11-21-2005, 10:24 AM
rorywquin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is the manufacturers web site http://www.oracover.de/xml/home.xml?node_id=1