Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Seaplane, floatplane, switch location

Old 11-20-2005, 08:22 PM
GoNavy
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Seaplane, floatplane, switch location

I am in the final stages of my first seaplane, and wondered where one should locate the on/off switch and charging jack. I presume one needs to minimize the risk of water hitting these things. Are special switches in order?

This is a Wave King, from Canada, a high wing model with the engine on a pylon above the wing. It is a flying boat type, i.e., the fuselage and two floats on the wing keep it afloat. The plans are de minimus, and say nothing about this. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:52 AM
Irish R.Seer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Seaplane, floatplane, switch location

On my Seamaster I mounted the switch on the fuse/ hull up close to the wing. I used a Dubro switch mount, the push pull type, added a little vaseline for insurance, never had any problem. I didn't use a charging jack, as I had to remove the wing anyway for transportation.
Good luck with your model.

Bill
Old 11-21-2005, 01:03 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I also like the DuBro mount, but I use the type with the built-in charge plug.

As Bill said, a little Vaseline and you're good to go
Old 11-21-2005, 07:20 PM
GoNavy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bill, Mike: Thanks. That sounds easy enough!

Say, since I have a couple of experienced float pilots available....

The cryptic instructions call for "sealing" the wing to the fuselage. This wing attaches with the customary rubber bands.

I have fitted the wing/fuselage joint to a fair thee well, but is there something special you would recommend? Perhaps a caulking material allowed to dry with the wing in place but covered with plastic wrap?

Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:25 PM
SDCrashmaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GoNavy

a caulking material allowed to dry with the wing in place but covered with plastic wrap?

Thanks again.
Precisely. Especially with a rubber band attached wing. A silicon seal will help eliminate sliding and moving which could facilitate moisture encroachment.
I'd sure like to see a plane with a wing pod engine mount using a nylon wing bolt mounting system as opposed to rubber bands to tell you the truth.

I did the silicon seal to my Lanier Seabird. Worked great (the seal, not the plane) Fastest RC boat I ever had

Paul
Old 11-22-2005, 12:29 AM
GoNavy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SD: Thanks for the suggestion, silicone it shall be.
I did add dowel to align the leading edge of the wing, and two small screws in the trailing edge for the same purpose.

This puppy will be a floater I hope....in the air too. An old Webra Blackhead 60 with a 6 foot wingspan.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Newc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For all of my float planes I use the DuBro push/pull with the charging jack and have never had a problem, even without using Vaseline as others have suggested. Perhaps this is because the charge jack has a cover that snaps over the opening and the fact that I use the jack for a charge reading before EVERY flight - as I suggest everyone do. This frequent insertion and removal of the voltage meter's connector removes and reduces any corrosion on the contacts. Also, I put a piece of small fuel tubing on the push/pull rod to help keep water out of the fuse.

On my Northstars I mount the switch/jack on the top of the nose, as this is actually a place where there's the least amount of water splashing. On my Midwest 80" Extra 300S they (two) are mounted above the wing. On the same size Citabria just below the wing and that's basically where I mount them on the other 60 size float planes.

By the way, my brother doesn't use a charging jack-type switch. He simply hangs the charge jack out from under the wing (out the radio compartment hatch on his Northstar) and has never had a problem - probably because he also checks the battery charge before EVERY flight.

By the way, are you familiar with the good way – using Saran Wrap - to get a virtually perfect silicone seal between the fuse and the wing?
Old 11-22-2005, 07:24 PM
GoNavy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JL:
Thanks for the tips.
I emptied the switch bag on the table last night and see I have two DuBro units which I will use. (I have adopted a policy of redundant switches for all my planes.)

Yes, I intend to use the Saran Wrap approach.

Do I understand that Extra is on floats?
Old 11-23-2005, 07:28 AM
Newc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, the 80" Extra 300S is on floats that it shares with the 80" Citabria (both from Midwest kits), so that both are able to be used on land or water. They both draw quite a crowd whenever they are flown off the water. On the picture on the plane on the shore you can see the two switches - two batteries - above the left wing, as well as the port for the water rudder servo that's inside the left float.

Newc