Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

CA Hinge Question.... need input

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

CA Hinge Question.... need input

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 01:45 AM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Hinge Question.... need input

Greetings!

When applying the thin CA to CA type hinges, I always seem to use too much glue and find it running along the hinge line and making a mess.

When assembling an elevator to stab for instance, do you guys apply CA to the front and back side of the stab, then turn it over and apply CA to the front and back of the elevator? OR do you just apply the CA to just one side of the stab and turn it over and apply CA to just one side of the elevator.

Also, do most of you trim the covering material away from the slot, or leave covering material intact.

Does anyone drill a small hole in the center of the slot to allow the CA to penetrate better?

Thanks for any input!

Ernie (rpm [email protected])
Old 11-10-2002, 02:00 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

Ernie:
Yes you should cut a small amount of covering away from the slot & drill a small hole in the middle of the slot, clear wood away from slot after drilling with a hobby knife. trial fit the hinges in the slot, mark the center of the hinge & stick i pin thru the hinge to insure the hinge penatrates both surfaces equally. insert all hinges & install surfaces. make sure the control surface is pushed together all the way. you should have a paper thin gap between the control surface & the stationary component. for example use the wing & aileron, hold the wing @ about a 30 degree angle with the aileron on the high side, bend the aileron down to expose the hinge, drop about 5-6 drops of thin ca right in the middle of the hinge, it will run down both sides of the hinge into the holes you drilled & it will wick into the hinge securing it to the wood. After all hinges are done on this side, flip the wing over & repeat the process on the oposite side of the hinges.
Good luck
Gil
Old 11-10-2002, 02:13 AM
Ernie Misner

Hi Gil,

Thanks for the input! I have been using a fine applicator tip on the bottle of thin CA and I have been actually touching the hinge line with the applicator. Doing it this way I am not able to judge how many "drops" of glue actually go in. Perhaps I should try holding the applicator tip a small distance away so I can count the drops like you do. Aren't you afraid that a drop will miss it's target and run down the wing???

Ernie
Old 11-10-2002, 02:36 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

Ernie:
It happens, just drop a couple of drops & let it wick in, then drop a couple of more & so on. Have a paper towel ready to wipe up any mess. If you do it this way with a couple of drops at a time you shouldnt have any trouble
Gil
Old 11-10-2002, 03:14 AM
TerrellFlyer

Hi Ernie Miser,I put a pin in the center of the hinge so it will center,after both parts are together I remove the pin,flex the control more than I'll ever use then put about 6 or 7 drops on each hinge ,then on the other side will use the same amount of ca,I've never removed the covering,and never drilled a hole in the hinge,I cover the hinge gap with covering,tape or clear silicone,my experience with ca hinges,is if the hinge gap is to tight the hinge will pull out of the wood or the stress of flexing against a strain will cause them to break.Been using ca hinges since they first came out up to 18 # planes ,so far I've had no problems.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:49 PM
$ircra$halot

Hi Ernie: Another trick I use is to draw a line with either a wax pencil, or crayon at the center line of the hinge. This keeps the ca from being able to wick in at the point where the hinge flexes, making it brittle. I too, have never removed the covering, or drilled a hole to help the ca wick in, and never had a failure in the 4 short years I've been flying, but it does not sound like a bad idea, if nothing else for piece of mind. Always glad to help if I can Garry
Old 11-11-2002, 08:30 PM
Ernie Misner

Default You guys are the greatest!

Such excellent information from you guys! $ircra$halot, your idea of using a crayon on the centerline was very interesting and creative to say the least. I too have noticed that glue on the hinge center really binds...

Ernie
Old 11-12-2002, 07:46 AM
$ircra$halot

Thanks Ernie: nice to know my noodle, let's make that gray matter, still functions once in a while.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:28 PM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

And don't use last year's CA. Spend $5 and get some fresh stuff for hinges!
Old 11-12-2002, 07:43 PM
Ernie Misner

Default ???

A question for you Garry and others... Since you don't drill a wicking hole, I was wondering if you use the type of hinges that have a slot in the center?

Ernie
Old 11-12-2002, 11:12 PM
TerrellFlyer

No Ernie Miser I don't,I use the Sig brand most of the time, they have no hole ,no slot and I used about 40 gal of glow fuel and a couple gallons of gas last year,as you can see I FLY A BUNCH. I have never had a CA hinge problem,also been using them since they hit the market.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:12 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The "drilling the hole" thing is a hit or miss proposition. I went for many years without drilling the hole without a problem. Then, one time I noticed that the CA wasn't wicking in the way it should, so I pinned the hinge just to be safe. Now I drill the hole as a precaution, and no more problems with wicking. Plus, now I KNOW that the CA is getting all the way back to the hinge. Better safe than sorry!
Old 11-13-2002, 08:07 AM
$ircra$halot

Like Terrellflyer, I have always used Sig easy hinges. I fly on an average of 5 days a week, (every day weather permitting). Between 2 and 5 times a day. I too have never had a failure. But what Minnflyer says makes sense. You know what they say, there's a first time for everything. I think I shall start taking the precaution of drilling the hole, can't take but a few seconds. You know an ounce of prevention. Always glad to help if I can. Garry
Old 11-17-2002, 02:10 PM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

My two cents:

I've used SIG CA hinges exclusively for 8 yrs on any thing from 1# to 15# models. Only one broken hinge due to hanger rash. This is how I do it:

Once the model is covered, slot a hole with a hobby knife #11 blade. I do not use the electric hinge slot machines as I do not want any wood removed. You need as tight a fit as possible. Cut a small slot (1/16") in the center of the hinge to allow the CA to penetrate. Install the control surface with hinges in place ready to glue. No gap at the hinge line is desired, but do not restrict the movement of the conrtol surface as this will not allow for maximum throws and put unneeeded wear & tear on your servo. Move control surface to recomended throw as needed and "drop" 10-12 drops of NEW thin CA on the hinge at the 1/16" center slot. Turn the surface over and repeat. A paper towel can be used to wipe up the access but the CA will still leave that white mess as it cures. Allow to dry overnight. Finally, deflect control surface down (or up) and wipe hinge line with ascetone. This will remove the unsightly white mess.

Ryan's Rebel