Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Tools for the model shop - bandsaw/jigsaw/scroll saw?

Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tools for the model shop - bandsaw/jigsaw/scroll saw?

Old 11-26-2005, 11:42 PM
goatboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Tools for the model shop - bandsaw/jigsaw/scroll saw?

The delta band saw you mentioned will do just fine. I have had one for about 16 years and it still runs as good as the day it was bought.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:49 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The number-one, must-have tool for the model builder is the Dremel Moto Tool rotary tool. It just can do so many things. The other tools that I've gathered through the years are a drill press and band saw. A nice bench grinder is good to have as is a desktop belt/disk sander.

So if I were equipping a new shop and had to spread my purchases over time, this would be the order of my purchases:

Moto Tool
Drill Press
Band Saw
Belt/Disk Sander
Bench Grinder

I've never seen the need for a scroll saw. When the band saw isn't appropriate, I use a hand-held jewler's saw.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:14 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

if you are a man you need all of the above. i do! i use them all myabe not for the hobby but i get some use out of them.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Red B.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would buy neither!

Over the years, whilst dabbling with cabinet and furniture making as well as model aircraft building I have come to rely more on hand tools rather than machines. Some examples:

For model building my table saw is now used only infrequently, instead I use a couple of high quality japanese dozuki saws [link=http://www.garrettwade.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=101522&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12395&iSubCat=12394&iProductID=101522](dozuki example)[/link].

The scroll saw has more or less been replaced by a couple of good quality fret saws [link=http://www.garrettwade.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=106094&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12395&iSubCat=12394&iProductID=106094](Fret saw example)[/link].

For those larger curved pieces I use an old fashioned turning saw instead of the band saw [link=http://www.garrettwade.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=102365&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12395&iSubCat=12394&iProductID=102365](turning saw example)[/link].

For the price of a gadget such as the GP PowerPlane one can buy an old fashioned Stanley 60 1/2 low angle block plane that will do anything the Power Plane will do, only better, and with virtually no noise or dust [link=http://www.garrettwade.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=101562&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12395&iSubCat=12393&iProductID=101562](block plane example)[/link].

About the only electrical tools that I use a frequently for model aircraft building (and I do build from plans a lot) is a cordless drill and a 12" disc sander.

I guess my point is that whilst power tools are nice to have, they are by no means necessary. Equally good, or in some cases better results (planing for example), can be obtained by the use of high quality hand tools.
Good hand tools may seem expensive but for the price of a reasonable quality machine one can have one, or maybe even two, very high quality hand tools that are almost noiseless, require very little space and require no dust extraction. Also, with practice they will produce superb results and last you a lifetime.

/Red B.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:46 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Red,

That's good to remember. And you are exactly right. It's easy to forget about hand tools these days. BTW, I have that exact same Stanley block plane. It works better than any razor plane I've ever tried. My problem is I use it so much, I have to keep sharpening it.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:54 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well guys if you want a bandsaw there is a great deal at Lowes right now if you can sweet talk the CS Desk.
Lowes is closing out the Hitachi CB13F Bandsaw..
This is a tradtional design Cast Iron Saw. (It's heavy!!)
Most stores have them clearence priced at $199 but some have it for $125

Ask the CS desk if they will price match another Lowes store clearence price..

Check this thread for the details and How to swing the deal.
http://www.bt3central.com/forum/topi...TOPIC_ID=26691