Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Two tone covering, how to do this?

Old 11-25-2005, 07:41 AM
surf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Two tone covering, how to do this?

How would you join two colors of iron on covering? As an example; you want to make the top half of the fus. one color and the bottom another color, but, the fus. has lighting holes in it. Do you make the fus. all one color and put the other color over it or.......???

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:47 AM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Two tone covering, how to do this?

It's been a long time and I'm sure other members will probably have better recommendatios but the way I did it was first I'd cover the light colored area. I'd try to cut the edge so that I would have maybe only 1/2 to 1/4 inch overlap of the second color. If you try to cover the whole model first and then go over it again with the second color you will have a lot of bubbles that will be hard to get out. There is something made by Top Flite that is a solvent for the adhesive in Monokote. This may work too but I have never tried it.
Good luck!
JLK
Old 11-25-2005, 08:00 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You need some wood to apply the Monokote to at the seem. In your case I would cover the light color past the lightening holes and overlap the Monokote to where you want it. It also helps to poke holes(pin *****s) in the covering where you are going to overlap(especially over the lightening holes. The Top Flite wood pecker works well for this. I just finished covering a plane and on the wing underside, I used some large stars over the covered ribs, but didn't take the time to prep the surface and it shows.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Newc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When the seam is going to be over a hole in the fuse I simply make up a ~1/2" wide backing piece of balsa and glue it to the fuse to have a surface on which to iron the Monokote. This will give sufficienht area for the first layer of Monokote and for the appropriate overlap of the second. This is similar to putting the balsa strips on the top and bottom of wing ribs - to give the Monokote a surface for the glue to adhere to.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:19 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can put wood in across the hole like has been said. It works fine. I just like doing it another way that dosn't add weight. I join the covering with a 1/4" overlap on a piece of glass. Just peel the backing off both pieces. Lay it out on the glass. And with the heal of the iron stick the two pieces to each other and the glass. Then you can peel it off the glass and put it on the plane. Just be sure to put the dark color on top of the seam. I have done several this way including a camo job. It is fairly easy to do.

David
Old 11-25-2005, 02:04 PM
surf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Excellent ideas, thanks!