Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Would appreciate any help at all

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Would appreciate any help at all

Old 11-25-2005, 01:01 PM
ColinNC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would appreciate any help at all

Hi guys, I am fairly new to the hobby and am in need of alittle guidance.
I am looking to buy a RTF sailplane, something like a "diamant sailplane" or one with a v tail. I am looking for a complete package, a rc radio remote, sailplane without engine/propeller, and wench/sling. Any indications would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Colin.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:11 PM
redfox435cat

Default RE: Would appreciate any help at all

the true sailplane market doesn't have the huge following of powered flight, don't get me wrong there are alot of people out there doing it, I do both, it just means you'll have a hard time finding a prefab RTF sailplane. AS far as getting a system

go to tower hobbies to get a radio. Sailplane have much more use for a computer radio than any powered plane. I have a Futaba 7CAP and I use 4 preprogramed mixes and all 3 free mixes and could use another. If your just going to dabl with it then you only need a 4 channel system for basic rudder elevator and aileron. If your at all seriouse about it or will be soon you'll need at least a 6-channal system for spoilers and flaps, you'll need flapperon mix, crow mix or airbrake.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAJ1**&P=0]tower[/link]

go to nesail to get a hi-start and a sailplane and probably a couple more micro servos, y-harness and some basic tools. A 2-meter ship is what you'll start probably start with

[link=http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=3578]easy gliderl[/link] though this is better [link=http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=1185]renney[/link]
[link=http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=876]histart[/link]
Old 11-25-2005, 05:24 PM
ColinNC

redfox435cat
Thankyou, You've been very helpful. I am going to look in to it. You said, "Sailplane have much more use for a computer radio than any powered plane." What is a computer radio consisted of? I have never heard of it.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:26 PM
ColinNC

That Renny looks nice
Old 11-25-2005, 10:30 PM
kdheath

A computer radio has digital circuits that allow you to customize the way the radio works. How far the servos move, end point adjustments, the ability to mix two channels so they work together, etc.
Here's a kind of typical one:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGAF1**&P=0
The tech data explains some of the things it does.

I tend to disagree that you, as a beginner, want a computer radio. There's enough to deal with as it is. A basic radio, a simple 2 meter wingspan sailplane, and a high-start is how I learned to fly RC. It's still lots of fun because it's just you and the wind and the thermals, trying to get in good flights. It will teach you how to fly, not just how to push buttons.
For instance, North East Sailplane is a good outfit and here's exactly what I've described in a complete package for not a lot of $$:
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=1445
Old 11-26-2005, 12:21 AM
BWooster

ORIGINAL: kdheath

... A basic radio, a simple 2 meter wingspan sailplane, and a high-start is how I learned to fly RC. ...
Me too. I didn't figure it out until I flew sailplane for a few seasons.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:06 AM
multiflyer

I have observed that flying gliders is the best way for someone to learn about elevator control and airspeed management - especially slope soaring. With a strong motor up front it is too easy to just pull up and zoom around. Many fly like this and it catches up with them during landing. Nothing knocks the idea home like being continuously forced to control speed with pitch. With a glider, the entire flight is in "dead stick" mode! Just about every time I meet someone who flies powered planes very well, have that fine touch and consistency on landing, they are glider enthusiasts too.

Multiflyer
Old 11-26-2005, 09:04 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Did you ever see Duane Cole perform? Seems he did pretty good with airspeed management.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:11 AM
kdheath

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Did you ever see Duane Cole perform? Seems he did pretty good with airspeed management.
Bob Hoover was the ultimate master of the art. He referred to "energy conservation" when flying his AeroCommander deadstick routine. How about low level 8-point rolls in an 8 seat business turboprop, deadstick? Duane was outstanding, too. His book Roll Around a Point is still a classic.

This talk makes me want to get another Gentle Lady....
Old 11-26-2005, 10:25 AM
ColinNC

Roughly how long do you think on average the Defiant can stay aloft, I recon that it takes much skill, but from anywhere between (0)sec to possibly (1)hour? And if anyone can tell me how far back from the spike in the ground I would have to walk back? This is agreat place, I hope being so needy doen't bla bla bla me. I would be letting her rip over a sod field. Thanks,Colin

Thankyou for all of your responses thus far, it has helped
Old 11-26-2005, 10:50 AM
kdheath

ORIGINAL: ColinNC
Roughly how long do you think on average the Defiant can stay aloft, I recon that it takes much skill, but from anywhere between (0)sec to possibly (1)hour? And if anyone can tell me how far back from the spike in the ground I would have to walk back?
Thankyou for all of your responses thus far, it has helped
Stock answer of course is "That depends." From a decent high start lauch in dead air, I figure 3-5 minutes. In slope lift, it is possible to do >eight hours. I've pushed 45 minuyes from a high start. It's great that you can use a sod farm. Flat, lots of room. Your lift (rising warm air) that carries a sailplane up, come from discontinuities in terrain. Big buildings, parking lots, plowed fields, etc can be sources of lift. The idea is simple: find warm air that is rising faster than your sailplane is sinking, and you go up!

The lengths of high starts varies. They seem to come in light and heavy duty. Unless you need to fly from a very tight space, get the heavy duty. The elastic part is a piece of surgical tubing up to 100 feet long. Add 200 feet of cord and the parachute, you may need 600 feet or so or room.

There is a skill to getting the most stretch on a launch so you get the most altitude.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:26 AM
ColinNC

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP