Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Testors paint won't cure

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Testors paint won't cure

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 01:44 AM
rusgmil
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testors paint won't cure

Painted a Top Flite full bdy pilot with Testors enamel paint and it won't dry (cure). Never had this problem before. Any ideas?
Old 01-16-2002, 02:07 AM
mselby

a lot of the pilots on the market are not compatible with enamels, you can sometimes force cure this with a clear laquer overspray, but often you get paint checking.
Mike
Old 01-16-2002, 04:14 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

I tried seveal ways to get testors enamel to cure on these pilots and nothing worked. I had to use latex paint that I purchased at a craft store. On my sample pieces, I was able to get the bulk of the testors off with a little bit of the testors air brush thinner. I'm not sure how it would work on the whole pilot.

Kent
Old 01-16-2002, 11:55 PM
rusgmil

Default paint

Thanks for the info, I'll try to remove it. Would have been nice if they mentioned that in their instructions.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:19 AM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Yea, that's kind of a bummer. The only reason I tested a piece first was because I had read something on line about latex pilots. Top Flite's are PVC but it made me nervous enough to try a scrap before painting all of it.

Kent
Old 01-19-2002, 09:11 PM
Miniair

Default Re: Testors paint won't cure

Originally posted by rusgmil
Painted a Top Flite full bdy pilot with Testors enamel paint and it won't dry (cure). Never had this problem before. Any ideas?
Just dunk the whole thing in brake fluid, won't hurt the plastic and takes all the paint off. When its done use some dish soap and a tooth brush (old one) and clean it real well.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:48 PM
Modelman
My Feedback: (7)

Default Pilot

Rusgmil,

Ouch! The back of the headercard/instructions on my pilot says, "Caution: Don not use enamel paints."

I've always had the best results using the Acrylic Paints found in the Model Railroad section (Floquil, Poly-S, etc.) Testors also has a complete line of Acrylic colors under the name Testors Akryl. Ask your hobby dealer about them. They work great on the pilots!

As for removing the enamel already on your pilot, Testors airbrush thinner will take it off. Immediately wash the pilot in warm, soapy water afterwards. Try not to handle the pilot for an hour or so until the thinner solvents are completely evaporated. If it still feels slightly "Gummy", dip the pilot th a jar full of Future Floor Wax, remove and set on a paper towl to dry. This will seal the pilot with a coat of acrylic clear. BTW, Future makes an awsome gloss clear for non-fuel contact components. Simply shoot it straight from the bottle with your spray equipment. No thinning necessary. Neat Stuff!

Hope this helps!

CG
Old 01-21-2002, 11:22 PM
rusgmil

Default paint

There was no warning about enamel on my instructions. Found lacquer thinner takes it off easily and doesn't affect the pvc.