Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Rut-Ro... CA on the Dining Room Table

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Rut-Ro... CA on the Dining Room Table

Old 11-27-2005, 02:44 PM
pocatosaras

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rut-Ro... CA on the Dining Room Table

Ok boys, how do I get the CA off the dining room table before the wife finds out?? Goof-Off and nail polish remover doesn't work.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:07 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Rut-Ro... CA on the Dining Room Table

I think you are in trouble bud![]
I don't know of anything that will work, that won't also effect a furniture finish.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:09 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Nail polish remover is made from acetone, and this is what will remove the CA. You may have to work at it for awhile, but it will eventually get it off. Squirt a little bit on the dried CA and let is set there and soften the CA.

I know this is like closing the barn door after the horse has gotten out, but next time lay something down to protect the table. I prefer to use 3 mil poly-vinyl sheeting. You can find it in the painting department at Wal-Mart or your locale Lowe's/Home Depot. This will avoid this type of situation.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Ken
Old 11-27-2005, 03:14 PM
pocatosaras

Thanks, I'll keep trying. I was using wax paper over my plans but spaced out a few times and the CA seeped to the uncovered plans.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:31 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Old 11-27-2005, 04:49 PM
bbbair

WOW!
This is a case in point for having a work shop!

The chemicals that we use are dangerous to furniture finishes, CA, fuel, acetone all will damage funiture and marrages. .

I realize that not everyone has a basement or garage to work in -BUT- between the odors and the stains on everything from the table to the carpet and walls . . . a separate place to work is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

Just show her the oops that you just had, add to that the saw dust that covers the entire house and then ask her for a solution... []

I know a local fellow that builds in a 4' crawl space, he even has a special (Short) chair buily onto a dolly. It may not be perfect but it is what he has. I started off in a 8' x 8' baby barn in the back yard, the wife loved it, no odors, dust or noise in the house and she always knew where I was.

Good Luck!
Old 11-27-2005, 05:19 PM
LSP972

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending upon your table's finish, you MIGHT be able to fleck the CA off with a razor blade.

If the table's finish is porous... you're hosed.

How about a table cloth? Think she'll buy into the notion that you've suddenly taken an interest in your home's decor? Nah, never mind. If she's like my wife, trying to BS her will just make her more angry...
Old 11-27-2005, 07:54 PM
shag555

You just need to get some CA remover / debonder. It's 100% nitro and will remove it NO PROBLEM. It costs 5 bucks, will last a lifetime unless you do this frequently. It works great for removing CA from your covering, as well as the formica workbench top as well!

Squirt some on, let it sit for 5 minutes, then wipe it off with a paper towel. It makes CA really gummy and it'll take a couple of squirts / 5 minute intervals if it's a thick puddle. If this is an expensive table you're talking about, the CA has more than likely already eaten through your finish so you have nothing to loose. If it's Formica you're in luck. I don't know if Polyurethane gets eaten by CA or not, probably does though.

MPB
Old 11-27-2005, 08:14 PM
pocatosaras

Cool, thanks for the debonder suggestion. I found it on line and will be ordering a bottle. As for the next project -- I've been relegated out to the garage
Old 11-28-2005, 06:22 AM
asmithnc

I bonded my wifes favorite and expensive kitchen sheers. Let's just say I high tailed it to the jewelery store!
Old 11-28-2005, 08:54 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would knock off as much as possible with a razor blade first.

I say "Knock Off" because that is just what you want to do...

Get a single-edge razor blade, place the blade flat on the table butting up against the lump of CA and wack it with something.

There's actually a good chance that this will remove ALL of it.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: pocatosaras

Cool, thanks for the debonder suggestion. I found it on line and will be ordering a bottle. As for the next project -- I've been relegated out to the garage
If you have a garage--then why are you building on the dining room table?

I'm lucky, I got a 1200sq.ft. unfinished basement. It's all mine except for about 30sq.ft in one corner for household storage.

My bedroom playtime would be cut down to 0% if my wife found CA on her table.[X(]
Old 11-28-2005, 06:31 PM
pocatosaras

Yeah... I'm lazy, hence the DR table thing.

As for bedroom play.... she ain't happy and I'm doing "laundry by hand" if you know what I mean....... doah!!![:@]
Old 11-29-2005, 10:11 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, at least you're "holding your own"
Old 11-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I spent $100 and about 4 hours building 2 more tables for my shop yesterday.

I bought 2 hollow core doors and 20 2x4's from the local big box lumber yard.

Wrap the door in 2x4 and add legs. Place a 1/2" plywood shelf about 24--30" off the floor. Piece-o-cake. You can put some little blocks (about 6--2 on each side and 1 on each end) under the door and screw them to the perimeter. This makes a "shelf" for the door to sit in. Easier to handle the door.

Best way to get the height right is to stand up. Drop your arms to your sides. Now bend your arms at the elbow and point your hands straight out in front of you. Elbows at 90* angle.

Your hands are at the right level for your tabletop. Mine happens to be 42" off the floor.

Best part about using a hollow core door in a 2x4 frame is that when the door gets chopped up and full of holes--just pull the screws from the perimeter and flip the door over. Brand new building surface. FREE!! Just flip it over and set it back down on the little blocks (shelf) that are screwed to the perimeter boards. Run some new screws in it.

Here's a couple pics:
The little table is a door that I've been building on for about 3 years. It's 24"x80" I just never had a frame on it. It was portable because I never had a shop big enough to dedicate a whole corner to the bench. I used to just prop it up on a couple sawhorses. Now I do, so I added a frame and some legs.

The big table is one of the doors I bought yesterday at the big box. It is 32"x80". I have one more of these that I need to build today. But, it's going to get built for the height when I'm sitting down in my chair.

Assemble the legs and perimeter with 3" drywall screws. Attach the plywood shelf with 1.25" drywall screws. You can glue the shelf supports, and the shelf--but DON'T glue the perimeter boards on the door. You want it removable--so you can flip it over when it's too worn to work on anymore.

I've already got 2 of these tables built. So, with the 2 additional 32" doors that I bought yesterday and the old 24" door now being wrapped and standing on legs--I got 5 tables in my shop.[X(] Need more.

My perfect shop would have a table for each plane in the fleet. But, thats not gonna happen. At $50 per table--it would add up too a lot of money.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49528.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	362044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83505.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	362045  
Old 11-29-2005, 01:36 PM
shag555

Well I pulled an even bigger boner than you did... I had my newly arrived diazo print Wendell Hostetler plans spread out on our new oak table and decided to compare the profile of my H-9 Extra 260 to these Extra 300xs 27% plans. Appearantly some castor dripped out on to the plans and somehow chemically reacted with the paper or the finish on the table??? My plans are stuck in several places to the table now!!! I didn't dare move them this morning because there are about 5 dime sized sticks. It's not sticky, it's actually glued in-place. I didn't want to ruin the plans or for her to see where the stuck paper to her new table. I guess I'll apply a little more castor tonight and see if it budges.

MPB
Old 11-29-2005, 03:35 PM
BillS

Keep messing up the tables and you are going to get castrated.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Jimmbbo

ORIGINAL: BillS
Keep messing up the tables and you are going to get castrated.
And there goes the next generation of RC modelers
Old 11-30-2005, 11:05 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Removing Ca glue from a table is easy ...just get Nitro...debonder is way way to expensive! (over here many of us blend our own fuel so we have pure nitro at hand) it will loosen up the Ca glue much better /faster than acetone.
If any stains ar left, just sand the area with 1500-2000 grade wet sandpaper and then polish with polishing compound (3M Finess-it).
This will make the table shine like a mirror.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 12-01-2005, 06:53 AM
LuckyArmpit

Shag, I'd venture a guess that your gonna be in deep do-do over that one!!!!! If you value your "after hours fun" in the sleeping quarters, head out to the flower shop or the jewelry store.

Dave...
Old 12-01-2005, 10:17 AM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Well, at least you're "holding your own"
Man... that was cold.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:35 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remember, as they say in CUBA, "Castration without representation is tyranny!".
Old 12-02-2005, 05:12 AM
shag555

It appears that the castor actually ate the finish on this table. A couple of nights ago, I pulled the plans up, then wiped down where the plans were stuck. The spots came clean, but the castor ate a spot down to bare wood. Fortunately the table has a flat finish on it, but at an obtuse angle you can see where the finish was eaten through.

I figured I'd leave the plans over top of the marks as I needed time to figure out a plan to "fix" them. She recognized the marks on the plans and figured "something" must have happened to her table. Subsequently, I got an ear full when I got home from work yesterday. It's a real shame too because the table is a full 8 ft long with the leaves installed. I guess it's back to the basement, even with just studying a set of rolled plans
Old 12-02-2005, 09:00 AM
pocatosaras

Bummer Shag. Hope you can get it back to near "See honey -- it looks ok!" condition.

In the meantime, I got some debonder as was previously suggested. Looks like more hype than horsepower as it didn't do much to the cured CA. Frustrated I drilled 1/2" diameter holes where the CA was and plugged 'em with Christmas candles and surrounded the whole thing with garland. Should be good for another month....

Heaven help me after the holidays though................
Old 12-02-2005, 08:21 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

i would say move out and run you are screwed lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.