Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

*Storing Your Planes For The Winter*

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

*Storing Your Planes For The Winter*

Old 11-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *Storing Your Planes For The Winter*

I was just wondering what others do. I leave my planes out in the cold garage so I pull the battery packs out, pull the plugs and put after run oil in the engines, then I cover all the planes with old sheets that the better half has given me. I'll charge the batteries about once every month just to keep them up. I'd really like to take them all in the house in my computer room but I don't have permission to do that from the boss []
Old 11-26-2005, 03:01 PM
MerlinL14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Storing Your Planes For The Winter*

Store them!!!! Hell no, I fly them all year round .
Old 11-26-2005, 03:17 PM
redfox435cat

yea yea the bewst flying during the winter. Oh My bad, in the snow[:'(]

you got it right. you do put the plug back in after you add after run oil right? If not put it back in. It also a good investment to get the carb and muffler caps that just pop over the carb and muffler. keeps evrything out. Also if I'm gonna store a model for a length of time I'll remove the engine and tank, do a though cleaning on the engine and tank then put them back as well. after I get the model back out go over every nut bolt and screw and tighten em.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Zippi

Man, it was 17 degrees here yesterday with the wind blowing on top of that. I just can't enjoy myself when it's so cold and windy that my eyes are watering. I'll wait til the spring weather hits. Yeah, I do put the plug back in.
ORIGINAL: MerlinL14

Store them!!!! Hell no, I fly them all year round .
Old 11-26-2005, 04:06 PM
jlobster88
My Feedback: (1)

The winter is the best time to fly. Dress warmly. There is a huge decrease of people at the field in the winter.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Deadeye

I'm leaving the majority of my planes in the cold storage part of my garage. Only the Skybolt and my current project, the 182, get to stay warm this winter. I thought about storing my batteries in the firdge, but maybe I will just leave them in the cold storage instead.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:07 PM
YAT-28E

I hear that the receivers have these thin crystals in them and getting cold and warm is not good for them. i took out the receiver and the batteries and left the plane out in the cold.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Zippi

Years ago when I flew for 8 years I left eveything in the garage except the batteries and never had a problem. Things are better now a days so I guess I'll do what I did then. I thought about asking my wife if she wouldn't mind looking at a few planes on the ceiling when she goes to bed but, I don't think that would go over so well
Old 11-29-2005, 08:29 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I fly all year round. 100 degrees, 0 degrees, calm, 20 mph winds, I am flying something somewhere! :O
Old 11-29-2005, 09:40 PM
adstott

I was told that putting batteries in the fridge and then taking them out will cause condensation and leed to corrosion. It wouldn't be much different them leaving them in the garage except it's probably drier then the fridge. I put my planes in the basement were it's a little bit warmer.

I have a question about how to store the planes. I've seen some guys hang them by the ceiling which puts all of the weight on the horizontal stabilizer. Does anyone think this would be bad? Right now I have them nose down with all the weight on the engine, which I don't care for too much.

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

I'm leaving the majority of my planes in the cold storage part of my garage. Only the Skybolt and my current project, the 182, get to stay warm this winter. I thought about storing my batteries in the firdge, but maybe I will just leave them in the cold storage instead.