Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Flying a Canard

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flying a Canard

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 03:04 PM
Canard flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying a Canard

I built a sig tri star, a canard flown aircraft. I used the fuel powered option. I put a 15 OS la engine in it and after adjusting the front landing gear so that it would steer well, I tried to fly it a few times. I never could get the engine to stay running, (I was at a really high altitude) but now I will be flying it at sea level and I had another pilot help me deflect the exhaust away from the carburetor.
My question is, Has anybody ever flown the tri-star or another canard before. Any helpful hints on handling? All the RC pilots I've talked to have never flown a canard before.
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2002, 05:07 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Flying a Canard

They fly like anything else. Biggest problem I have is cooling the engine because there is no airflow. yours probably quit due to heat, just my guess. Run it a little rich, that helps. If it gets too hot, the plug goes. Other than that, they fly great.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:35 AM
Canard flyer

Default Flying a Canard

Thanks for the reply. We figured it was either the airflow or the exhaust getting into the carburetor, or both. The engine has now been partially broken in on the bench and I will try again this weekend to get the airplane in the air.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:29 PM
$ircra$halot

Default Flying a Canard

Greetings Canardflyer: This looks like a plane I just have to crash, I mean build. problem is I just went to Sigs web site and all I could find were decals for the tri star. Assuming this kit is out of production my question is where did you get yours, and how much $. BTW I agree you may have an over heating issue. Might you be able to fashion some kind of scoop to duct air to the engine. Always glad to help if I can. Garry
Old 11-13-2002, 02:14 PM
Bob Parker
My Feedback: (18)

Default Flying a Canard

This maybe a dumb question but you are using a pusher prop aren`t you? Also I used to fly a Sweepee, but it`s engine was mounted on the front. After you get used to it looking like it`s flying backwards it should be a lot of fun. I have a tri-star I bought off of rcu haven`t flown it yet.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:25 PM
Canard flyer

Default Flying a Canard

I actually have two kits. One built and one not. I got one kit from a local hobby shop and the other from ebay.
I am thinking of templating the unbuilt kit so that I can make more if I want to. The kit is discontinued. It's a snap to build though.
As for the prop. Yes I am using a pusher prop. When we (the people who are helping me with my planes) were trying to either lean or fatten the mixture, we were using a tractor prop to keep the engine running, then switching to a pusher, doing a final adjustment, and trying to keep it going. One of the people I fly with is trying to come up with a way of attaching a deflection plate or scoop to the engine but there isn't much room to attach anything.
I have about 3 different sizes of pusher prop and am actually thinking of getting a 3 bladed pusher but am not too sure if that would make problems worse.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:04 PM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Flying a Canard

I used a dubro open muffler that just exits to the side, very short, very noisey. Used a 2 blade pusher prop and started it, got it running good and put it in the air. It was a broke in engine so it worked well. Set it really rich with your regular prop and back it off maybe a click or two. Then put the pusher on and try it. It should stay running, if not, you may have a line with a hole in it or something like that. Hate having engine problems. You will like it though.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:15 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Default Flying a Canard

sircrashalot:

I think i have one of those kits nib in the shop. email me at: [email protected] if you are interested
Old 01-02-2003, 09:26 PM
Dago Red

Default Flying a Canard

you do know that in a climb with a canard has been known to flood or kill the engine. when you take off, the fuel runs to the intake on the fuel tank, thats what the book for my long EZ said.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:18 AM
Canard flyer

Default Flying a Canard

So, what can I do to counter-act this. It would not be a pleasant surprise to take off a unusual and new plane just to have it die, especially at a field that isn't set up well for a landing after takeoff (not enough room). :stupid:

Thanks for the warning/info.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:39 AM
Dago Red

Default Flying a Canard

I think you can put pumps on them to stop this, Ill check around for ya.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:35 AM
bmgbeetle

Default RE: Flying a Canard

I put my fuel tank in, facing the direction it would,as if the motor were in front.(backwards) That way the clunk stays in the fuel in the typical direction it'll be pushed. I haven't flown it yet, but I taxied it all over my front lawn testing the old O.S. 25 FP I installed. The only pusher prop I could find locally is a 9X6. It doesn't tach out very high, but I figured the fact it's overpowered would balance that out. It certainly shoots across thick grass with authority. No lack of power. Just curious about the C.G. I bought it pre-built with no plans or instructions, just theories... Right now it sits well at about 1/3 from the trailing edge. Is that right?
Old 12-20-2003, 01:16 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a push-pull Kadet. The rear motor's tank is installed "normally" as bmgbeetle says. I have no problems with fuel feed in flight. The rear motor usually runs longer than the front motor.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:21 PM
bmgbeetle

Well, I'm off to the field for "testing".