Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Solartex Painting Question

Old 12-06-2005, 11:04 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Solartex Painting Question

I'm starting to cover a plane with Solartex and bought one roll of yellow to see if the color was what I was looking for. I've covered the rudder as a test piece and have come to the conclusion that the plane will have to be painted to get the color I want. The question is, can the yellow be painted? In other words, I don't want to throw out the remainder of the roll.

Chuck
Old 12-07-2005, 08:35 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Solartex Painting Question

Yes, the yellow can be painted. Solartex accepts paint easily. Paint a sample test piece to see how the color turns out.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've done it a lot. When I do it I use mostly white solartex and paint the entire plane. Works great. I use rustoleum but other paints like lusterkote (yuk) would work too. Reshrinking is not a problem either. Just lay a piece of old white T shirt on the area and use the iron. Move the iron, not the T shirt.
Edwin
Old 12-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Solartex can be painted but always, ALWAYS test a small piece. If you're using a solvent based paint it could react with the coloring. If you're using a two-part paint, they generally can be applied over absolutely anything. Poly Tone will chemically bond to the solartex and it's very light. If you're looking for a light color be careful of the color Solartex you use beneath the paint.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chipmull,
Never heard of Poly Tone. Where do you get it. Always interested in trying another brand.
Edwin
Old 12-07-2005, 02:46 PM
khodges

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm doing the very thing you're asking about right now. I'm re-covering an ARF with Solartex, don't like the MonoKote it had. I'm using water-based latex house paint, and it goes on like a dream. I experimented with clearcoats and found that after drying thoroughly (4-5 days) that the latex can be clearcoated with Top Flite LusterCote without any compatability problem. This fuel-proofs the otherwise non fuel proof latex, and gives it a slicker finish. I'm brushing the latex, so if you wanted to spray it, I don't know what to tell you regarding thinning it for a spray gun. Part of what I covered I used the natural Solartex, and part of it is white Solartex. I can't tell which is which after two coats of the latex paint. I'm brushing the paint because it's a WWI plane, trying to achieve a more scale appearance.

I saw your comment on LusterCote. Why do you not like it? I have had some mixed results in the past, mostly issues with the spray pattern or dulling of the finish when dry. I have had better results with the spray since warming the can in warm water before using, and very thorough shaking before and during use. I have found it to be an extremely durable finish against glow fuel, this is why I'm using it over the latex.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:50 PM
Debris Field

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've had problems with teh finnishing paint wicking underneath the masking tape I have applied because of the textured finish.
How do you guys prevent this from happening?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Chip_Mull

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Edwin:
Poly Tone is available at http://.stits.com check out the section called "Crewmembers" also. A way to avoid paint seeping under the tape is to use a good trim tape such as the vinyl 3M tape. Then, the first coat of paint should be around the edges of the tape and should be the color you have taped over. In other words, if you're painting the black lightning bolt on a yellow Cub. First paint the yellow color the Cub is painted around the edges of the tape, then black. This seals the edges and it if happen to seep underneath, you won't see it. If you're painting Solartex and the only color will be a trim color, use clear as the first coat.

Also, whenever possible, when painting plastic coverings scuff the area to be painted with Scotch Brite if you can. The mechanical adhesion will improve greatly.

When removing the tape. Don't try to remove it too soon. If there are little strings of paint it's too soon. Pull the tape back over itself away from the trim area you just painted.

If it's a large area that requires paper to prevent overspray, do NOT use newspaper. The newsprint can transfer and it's not a pretty sight. Use butcher paper, wax paper or paper from an automitive paint supply house. Good place to buy Scotch Brite and trim tape also.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:05 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: chipmull

If it's a large area that requires paper to prevent overspray, do NOT use newspaper. The newsprint can transfer and it's not a pretty sight. Use butcher paper, wax paper or paper from an automitive paint supply house. Good place to buy Scotch Brite and trim tape also.

Newsprint paper is excellent for masking/covering, but use plain paper - not printed paper. You can get this at stores that sell materials for moving. Things like boxes, packing tape, etc. This paper is what is used to wrap fragile things like glassware, etc.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:17 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

spray or brush all the taped edges with a clear paint prior to painting the color. The clear wicks under the tape and fills the gaps, then paint over the clear. This will help keep the color from wicking under the tape. Also use a high quality masking tape, there are so good ones that can be found at automotive paint stores.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Chip_Mull

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you don't have clear, use the paint you used for a base color first, then the trim.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:17 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the replies and discussion. I will try a test piece tomorrow.

Again the reason I raised the question, I didn't want to waste the remaining roll of yellow Solartex after covering the rudder. I will use unpainted Solartex for the remainder of the plane once the yellow is used up. I plan to spray the plane with a cream color latex. Should I prime the Solartex first to help hide the yellow or shouldn't I be concerned? Does Solartex need to be primed at all?

Chuck
Old 12-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Chip_Mull

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the rest of the Solartex is white, then prime the yellow Solartex with white. This way you won't have any differences in the shades of paint. Yellow paint over yellow Solartex can give a different hue than yellow paint over white solartex. Whatever paint you intend to use, stay with the same stuff for compatibility reasons.

If you were using the Stits paints, I would recommend you prime with FC-900. It's white and provides a good bridge between pastics and our polyester vinyl paints. But, that's just a suggestion.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Trinut
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Khodges, could you share some pictures of your DR1? In the meantime, I'm ready to cover a BUSA Dr1, and what you did sounds good to me. I would like to do a streaky-brown finish (Herman Gohring's plane, predominantly white nose and tail, the rest streaky brown). Could you share a few more details? Which Dr1 are you duplicating? How did you do the streaky brown finish? (ex. how much do you thin the paint, what brush, etc.)
Thank you in advance...
Old 12-08-2005, 04:31 PM
khodges

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Trinut

Khodges, could you share some pictures of your DR1?
Not too much done yet, it's all re-covered. I have the bottom wing done, and part of the fuse. Check your PM for details.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28611.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	366993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40004.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	366994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48111.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	44.3 KB