Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Airplane mags: do you buy them?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Airplane mags: do you buy them?

Old 12-11-2005, 11:33 AM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airplane mags: do you buy them?

After collecting years of magazines, I have effectively stopped buying them. Seems to me all I'm getting is a rehash of the same ole stuff. Tons of ads-all of whom are having a SALE! A quick and dirty review of a new kit. A couple of basic 'how to's' which seem geared to the beginner. The 'helpful tips' are often of benefit. My least favorites are the " Joe Jet scratchbuilt the unique landing gear'-and that's it one shot, almost never any in- depth info. I like to scratch build things. I have yet to see an article on building oleos, air cylinders, gear doors, seems like it's all geared to get me to buy from one of the advertisers. And then there's the AMA mag..... I get more info here, how about you?
Old 12-11-2005, 01:06 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airplane mags: do you buy them?

Cancelled all my model magazines for the same reasons you stated. Now I get Model Aviation because it comes with the card. If I see a MAN, Backyard Flyer or Fly RC on the news stand I glance through it for content and buy only if there is something interesting enough to warrant the price.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:32 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I get MA because I have to. But they never paid the going rate for a construction article. Some poor guy spends 6 or 7 months taking pictures and making drawings and revising the entire thing as he goes. Then they stiff him, offer him 300 bucks. RCM and MAN were offering closer to 600 for the same article.

But now, no one seems to have a decent construction article.

But those little ads sometimes show something interesting and a web address. Extracting useful information from the Mags these days is more like a treasure hunt. And sometimes those web addresses lead to some interesting stuff.

And of course, they never met a plane they didn't like.

I still subscribe to MAN. I don't want them to disapear, like RCM and most of the kit manufactures. Its dark times, but hopefully it will pass. And maybe, just maybe things will get back to the way they were.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:14 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

I too have pretty much dropped the magazines. I was going to drop RCM but they beat me to it. I do take the RC Report for the simple reason they tell it like it is, good or bad. I like that.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:23 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only one I bother with now is "R/C Report." I think it's a great magazine. It's more personable and laid back; less commercial. I got it for a year and liked it well enough to re-up for two more.

Good flying,
desmobob
Old 12-11-2005, 09:52 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: ballgunner

Cancelled all my model magazines for the same reasons you stated. Now I get Model Aviation because it comes with the card. If I see a MAN, Backyard Flyer or Fly RC on the news stand I glance through it for content and buy only if there is something interesting enough to warrant the price.
You just described me perfectly, excepting only the Backyard Flyer. Electric just doesn't do anything for me; and I am well and truly SICK of looking at park flyers in magazine ads.

I too skated on the RCM rip; they got my re-sub time wrong, I was about to re-up anyway, and then they got snippy about it when I made an inquiry so I threw away the renewal form. Six weeks later, we know the truth. Dodged that bullet; but I feel for those who didn't.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:53 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RC Report is the only mag that I subscribe to.

I feel that sites like RC Scale Builder and RCU offer more pertinent information. In the future, I wouldn't be surprised if all the RC magazines folded because we can get the information that we need on the web.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Tall Paul

ONly MA.
I read the others at the LHS.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter

<<snip>> ... guy spends 6 or 7 months taking pictures and making drawings and revising the entire thing as he goes. Then they stiff him, offer him 300 bucks. RCM and MAN were offering closer to 600 for the same article.

But now, no one seems to have a decent construction article.
<<snip>>
I'm seeing opportunity here, all you builders! I constantly see complaints about a perceived lack of kits and articles, here's your chance! Do what you love, and document your building project - then offer it to MA! or MAN! The extra effort to take a couple pictures along the way, and write a few hundred words on it, we're talking maybe 10 hours? Even at triple that, your added effort would pay more than minimum wage.

I'm starting now! Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 12-12-2005, 02:27 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Dave,

You might want to save yourself a lot of effort, and query the editor of the mag you're interested in, BEFORE doing the work.

I applaud your desire and willingness to do an article, but I've BTDT and editors are not easy folks to satisfy.

First, your project must be something he thinks he needs. Magazine editors are always nearly a year ahead of the publication curve in planning what pieces to run. Its the nature of the publishing business- loooong lead times. Your project may already be on the calendar.

Second, you must "package" your product properly. Ask for a writer's guideline when you make your initial query. If you don't want your work blue-pencilled to death, or rejected out of hand, it HAS to be done in the proper format and style for that magazine.

There is tons more to watch out for, but these two, along with poor grammar/spelling, are the biggest killers of would-be magazine contributors.

Again, I'm NOT trying to rain on your parade or otherwise discourage you. But doing a magazine article is certainly not the breezy walk in the park that many folks seem to think it is. It is, in fact, a lot of work.

Anyway, make those queries, and good luck.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:52 PM
wsmalley

Many interesting comments. Of all the mags I've seen, RC Reports seem to have had more content-at least that interested me. Looking at the forums here maybe one can get some idea of what's 'hot' these days. The jet guys seem to have mags directed to their interests. I think 10 years ago, MAN had more worthwhile stuff to me. I thought 'Fly RC' would go in a different direction, but seemed to try and offer a tidbit for everyone. I am frankly sick of reading about 'Park fliers'! Even watching a few episodes of the DIY channel RC show bored me, all directed toward the guy who never saw an RC model. Look at the forums here and you find guys with years of experience and tons of knowledge. Granted there are the 'newbie' questions-I ask a few myself, and learn something each time-but I think this has become a high dollar, man's hobby. I don't think you can have a plane, with everything, for under $500. I went with several club members to a high school 'technical' class a couple of weeks ago. I spoke about UAV's,video, and A/C electronics. Only had one question- from a female in a class of 40 or so. I don't think kids today have any interest in RC unless it can turn on a cell phone or MP3 player.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Randyfaz

Guys,
try using your local Library. Mine carries MAN. If they don't ask them to subscribe. I'll stop in and skim through the current one (can't check it out yet) While I'm there, Ill check out a few past issues for home reading. Best part is it's free.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:19 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Wsmalley: Amen my friend. I agree with everything you say. Im a manager at the local hobbytown and it is really hard to sell an ARF to some people. What you STILL have to buy the radio and engine. Oh no, i cant do that!!!! Granted working at the hobbyshop i read all the magazines. So i dont do the subcription thing. Model Airplane news i used to enjoy reading but, reciently it has fallen somewhat. AFter reading a fellow club members RC Report I just had get myself a subscription. I really enjoy the unbiased reviews of planes and some pretty good building tips.
Our flying field is actually located on a large piece of property owned by the boy scouts of America which we dont pay rent by the way. In return we just need to attend some boyscout events or functions and put on a show. So kids and parents could get some buddy box action. You should see the look of the huge smiles on some of the scouts. It is priceless. We also do a merit badge clinic for the avaition merit badge and the space exploration badge since our bylaws include launching of model rockets. Hopefully our contribution and presense could interest more people in the wonderful hobby of RC Planes.
Sorry if my rambling got a tad of topic but, i personally think the magaizines are swooping to an all time low to intise some more of the beginner crowd and to hopefully spark a new interest in to model airplanes.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:53 PM
wsmalley

Fury: think you hit the nail on the head! Got to get them while they are young and full of enthusiasm-like baseball, ever seen a T ball game, that's real baseball!. If they don't develop the interest early, I don't think high school age people have the interest or the money. It would be an interesting poll here as to the average nimber of years in the hobby. I don't think the guys who have been in it for too many years get much out of the mags, except, maybe for the jet guys. I subscribed to RCJI awhile back and it had considerable useful info. Come to think of it, I've never seen a turbine in a hobby shop!