Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

To Spray Paint or Monokote.....

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

To Spray Paint or Monokote.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 05:20 PM
alcoholhelps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Spray Paint or Monokote.....

I had a quick question, I plan on doing Jeff Gordon flames on my Giles.......which would give a greater result.....Spray painting the orange flames....or monokoting them....I'm looking for looks here, maybe somewhat easy complexity.....but I think that either way it's going to be hard....just want some thoughts and comments...thanks alot...(it's a Great Planes Giles)
Old 12-13-2005, 06:54 PM
Newc

Default RE: To Spray Paint or Monokote.....

Don't overlook the possibility of painting the monokote. All that's needed is to scuff the monokote surface that will be painted a bit with steel wool first to give the paint something to grab.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:30 PM
alcoholhelps

Can I just use lustercote then on top of the monokote if I scuff it up???.....and also never pinstriped before....I'm assuming that's what I would have to do to get the flames I need...anything else I would need to know?!?!
Old 12-13-2005, 08:14 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want Jeff Gordon flames? Jeez, I don't know if I wanna help you or not.... Now, if they were DW flames.....

You know what.... You're talking automobiles here, right? Well, let me suggest that you swing by a few auto parts stores and look in their paint sections. Not for spray paint. For flames.

I noticed some flame decals just the other day. I'd have looked harder, but the driver picture on the box looked a lot like..... chuckle... Truth is, I like just about all them boys, even Jeffy Poo. And the set of flames had about 1/3 that were small enough for model planes. They were actually not for a hood and fenders but for detail areas around other parts of the car. And the flames were a fade from red to orange to yellow, and were outlined. Now....

Hobby shops sell striping tape to us for our airplane models. The stuff that tells you to just stick it on and sit the model in the sun for a couple of hours is auto striping tape. While you're in the NAPA parts store looking for the flames take a look at all the really kewl striping tape THEM BOYS sell. I've only run across one roll of auto tape that didn't stay on the airplane and the tape was right under the exhaust. And after wiping down a couple of times with thinner, the next brand stuck and would still be there today if that model was.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:05 PM
alcoholhelps

LOL...I know Gordon's reputation doesn't stand too high with NASCAR fans but his car is HOT...literally...you have to admit that...the only reason I ask for the pinstriping....is isn't that how the flame outline is made....then you mask off what you don't want painted....I wouldn't keep the striping on there, just for the shaping of the flames....I would be interested in the flames from NAPA, except for I need to match it up on the stabilizer too....that's my only question with that....all the help is appreciated, anything more would help out greatly!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:44 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can find the color flames you want, consider scanning them into your computer. Then size them for the area(s) you want and print them out on water slide decals. The decal paper is available from Bel Decal http://www.beldecal.com/ and is available in clear or white background. The paper runs ABOUT $1.00 per 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. I do decals all the time this way, it is not hard and the decals work very well.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:20 AM
h@h racing
My Feedback: (1)

Monokote over Monokote. Hand cut and installed with Windex and sealed with trim solvent.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68434.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	369946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95549.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	369947