Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

*Remote Glow Plug Igniter*

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

*Remote Glow Plug Igniter*

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *Remote Glow Plug Igniter*

I'm looking for a remote glow plug igniter. One end connects to your glow plug and the other end is free to mount anywhere you want. I seen a guy at the field with one and with this set up you don't have to cut a hole in your cowl to attach the glow plug igniter. I've done a search but come up with nothing. I'm not sure what they are really called. Anybody have one or know what they are called? A link would be cool.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:07 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: *Remote Glow Plug Igniter*

Zippi,

This is the one I use. Great for heads that have the glow plug down in the head. It's a little more expensive than the Hangar 9 model and others but it has held up well and comes with it's own bracket to boot

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLZ3&P=7

Old 12-17-2005, 11:22 AM
kdheath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Central Hobbies has some nice ones as well.
http://www.centralhobbies.com/glow/headlock.htm
Old 12-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Timoteo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Hangar 9 one. Here's a link: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=HAN3025
Old 12-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I kinda like the Hanger 9 one better. The one on towers site looks pretty long where it plugs onto the plug. Looks like you would have to have a pretty good size cowl to use that one.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:10 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Zippi,

It really does not matter but you do not need to just place it in the cowl. It can be further back in the Fuse. My Shotime has mine on the opposite side of the switch just under the canopy/hatch line
Old 12-17-2005, 06:16 PM
desmobob

One caution: be careful where you mount it. I installed one on a Unionville Hobbies deHavilland Beaver I built. The engine and muffler fit nicely inside the cowl and I didn't want to cut a hole for the glow driver.

I mounted the remote unit on the top of the airplane, just behind the wing. It was a Du-Bro, I think, with a cover that swung over the receptacle. Well, the first time I used it, the vibration from turning the engine over with a starter caused my glow driver to pop off the receptacle. It popped straight up, then came straight back down about an inch behind the receptacle, punching right through the covering on the fuselage. [:@]

After the second time this happened, I drilled a hole in the cowl for the glow driver.

Good flying,
desmobob