Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Cowl doesn't match the color of monokote....

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cowl doesn't match the color of monokote....

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 01:49 PM
alcoholhelps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowl doesn't match the color of monokote....

I'm kind of confused on this, maybe someone can give me a remedy for this...the color of my cowl does not match the covering on the monokote...I got the same colors, metallic blue, but the cowl is obviously lighter then the covering...any help or suggestions, thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88137.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	375077  
Old 12-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cowl doesn't match the color of monokote....

You have just found out one of several things that turn people off on monokote/lusterkote.

VERY frequently the Lusterkote paint does not match the covering. Normally, this is due to is differences between batches (typically one or two shades). As you have noticed though, often different colors are mislabled. I got away from monokote/lusterkote many years ago when their QA/QC started slipping. From what I have been reading, the QA/QC problems have only gotten worse since I stopped using it.

While there is little you can do about batch differences, I have found that the Ultracote paints are very, very close to the Ultracote covering colors. IMHO, the Ultracote paints spray better (NO spitting) and 'lay' better than Lusterkote. They also do not require a proprietary primer to adhere properly.

If you want the cowl to match you have 2 choices (both will require a sample of the color).

1. Go to an automotive store and have them mix the correct color. This will be fuel proof, but expensive.

2. Go to the hardware store and have them mix up some latex for you. This will cost about $10 for a quart. With the latex, you will need to let it "cure" for about 10 - 14 days, then clear coat it with something like Ultracote clear to make it fuel proof.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:00 PM
Jugmaker

If you are looking for fuel proof paints,try www.klasskote.com .Got some yellow to paint the inside of the sub cowl of my monocoupe and it matched perfect.
jugmaker
Old 12-25-2005, 10:04 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take another look at that can of Lustercoat. I have never had that much disparity. It looks as though there is no mettalic look at all.

Les
Old 12-26-2005, 01:04 PM
alcoholhelps

Yeah it's the strangest thing....maybe if I put on a few more heavier coats???...I mean I put 7 on their, I did it in my basement so I was practicly getting blown sky high by the fumes literally, so maybe I didn't put heavy enough coats on it, because I couldn't stay in the basement any longer then I had to.....it has the metallic shine upclose, but it's just not dark enough, but I appreciate the advice so far guys, thanks!
Old 01-08-2006, 01:45 PM
cuwaert

Hi, in my experience paint that match UC or Oracover here in Europe allways has been a problem...and it was even a bigger problem when I got myself buying some canister with expensive industrial colored waiste to smudder up my model. Maybe in the states you have better products but here it's just what I called it a while ago.
I don't understand why the Oracover manufacturer or any manufacturer of GOOD covering material doesn 't provide the paint, here it doesn't exists. So what do I do? I go to a good automotive shop and they mix the colour I need. It doesn't match perfectly, but far better than anything else I ever waisted my money on...and it is superb quality...and it is superb quality...
and it is superb quality...and it is superb quality...and it is superb quality...and it is superb quality...and it is superb quality...and it is superb quality...
Old 01-08-2006, 02:01 PM
2slow2matter

cuwaert...

Just how good is that paint???
Old 01-08-2006, 02:05 PM
2slow2matter

Alcohol,
That looks a lot like lustercote royal blue--I have plenty of experiences with that particular color. Perhaps they mixed the wrong batch with the metalic flake???

What I do know, though, is that is one sweet looking airplane. I assume you built it from a kit, and covered it yourself, since you are painting the cowl? What kit is it? Cap? What's up front?

Sorry to change the subject of your thread, but I had to add that. Very nice!!!
Old 01-08-2006, 09:28 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just be CAREFULL about painting in your basement. Remember in most basements are your heater and or water heater " left side of your picture if I'm not mistaken ) and the fumes could ignite from them, then you wouldn't have to worry about the color.
Be Carefull Be Safe and ENJOY !!! RED
Old 01-08-2006, 09:57 PM
eaglelope

I agree with 2Slow2Matter. I've used the metallic blue Lustrekote paint and it's a lot closer to metallic blue Monokote than what you're showing.

Double-check the label. Even if it sya metallic blue, I think it's mislabeled.

Mark
Old 01-08-2006, 10:17 PM
bofrcr

Hey there alcohol-helps!! (at least in this case,,it does!) I also agree with campy,, but I've found out it NEVER matches!! LOL Here's something to consider,, at the local Ace Hardware store,, they sell there house brand of rustoleum paint,, called "rust stop"(As far as I can tell,, it's that paint,,with Ace's label on it). First, you'll need the primer, which comes in white, grey, and rudy red. BUY A CAN OF EACH! On a good sized piece of cardboard,, spray 3 vertical stripes of primer,, 1 with the white,,1 with the grey,,1 with the rudy red. let dry. now with your choosen color,, spray a horizonal stipe,, accrost the 3 of primer. let that dry. now take it outside in the daylight along with some covering of the covering material. the shades of primer will vary the shade of the paint,, allowing you to choose the best combo. And the best part is,, a 16 oz can with a nice flat fan ajustable nozzle,, will set ya back about $2.60! Now,,what will ya pay for 10 oz of that lustercoat crap? $7-8 bucks! Go figure!! oh yeah,, rustoleum is mostly fuel proof anyway,, as it's made with fish oil,, as I've heard,, and,, the clear lutercoat is compatible too!! (but first always test) Ok,,, just thought I'd toss in my 2 cents worth! oh,,yeah, just where in ohio do ya live??
Old 01-09-2006, 01:01 PM
eaglelope

Though not quite finished, here is a pic with Metallic Blue Monokote and Metallic Blue LustreKote. The cowl on this Chipmunk is painted. The wings have MonoKote. It's not an exact match but it's pretty close.

the metallic red on the wingtips was awful though. The paint spattered no matter how much shaking and warming I did. I see TopFlite has disconitinued that color since.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig10976.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	384249