Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 07:41 PM
xray328
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunglasses

Is there any certain sunglasses you guys wear when you fly? I know theres blue blockers but I didn't think that was really the best for flying.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:19 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Sunglasses

zurich sunglasses all the way. Ive had their newer frames for a bout 6 months now and I really like them.. Offers very good contrast to the plane and the rest of the sky. Theres been hundreds of threads about this subject. do a search on RCU. Good answers!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 08:23 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Look up Zurich on google or find their add here on RCU. They have a broad range of glasses that are tailored toward the flying set.
There are lower dollar glasses that do the job for some people but Zurich has a no nonsense warranty and is optically superior to the look alikes.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:53 PM
redfox435cat

perscription Avantes
Old 01-01-2006, 02:05 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Zurichs myself. they are big enough to fit over my glasses. They look really and i mean really nerdy. but i have them in three different colors. yellow for really overcast. rose tint for the medium days and the smoke for really bright days. If you don't wear glasses they also have sport looking glasses. my girlfriend wears these when she flies and when she calls for me.

They are expensive but in my opinion they are worth it. I've heard of other sunglasses that are cheaper but by then i already had the zurichs and never tried any other brands.

So how is the dogfighter doing?

Dennis
Old 01-01-2006, 05:36 AM
xray328

I'll check them out, thanks!

Dogfighting? LOL.

I'm putting together a .15 SNS as we speak. I started it a noon and its 4:30am now. Its together but I can't get fuel to the motor. The things so timy I must have a kinked fuel line. I get so few days off and the ones I do are on the days the LHS is closed. I bought a sullivan round tank for this bird and it a pain in the rear. It wants to sit at 45 degrees in the fuselage since its round. The round shape also makes it longer, its sort of the shape of a bubbles container the kids have in the summer. As a result the tank is pushing into electronics bay. And just when I think i've got it, my radio battery dies. [:@]

This working at 4:30 am stuff is dangerous though. Just before I picked up the starter I realized I hadn't secured the firewall holding the motor. That could have been nasty. Then I'm looking at the prop (the motor came with the prop on it) and figure I better check if its tight. Sure enough t was only finger snug.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips on the glasses.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:16 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wear prescription glasses, and found a pair of wear-over-your-glasses sunglasses that are polarized at a flea market for about $5. They work great, cut out glare and haze.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:12 PM
camdyson

Remember the FIRST consideration is to get your eyes in focus! Go to your local optometrist and tell them you want a pair of PRESCRIPTION sunglasses and tell them they're for flying models. Have your eyes examined and they'll work out what you need. I've found if you get the 'script adjusted by -0.25 in the distance compared with your "normal" distance correction, it helps alot - especially if you take your eyes off model momentarily and then look back. This "pushes" your focus out just that little bit extra.

I flew R/C thermal soarers in competition for years, and at the distances we flew these glasses were a huge benefit.

Tint colour is subjective and trial-and-error is a good system. Typically shades from yellow through orange to red work best depending on sky colour. Once you find the tint that suits you, get the optometrist to make your Rx sunnies to that tint - they can match most. Also, get a multicoat on the BACK surface if possible - cuts reflections out. Polarising can be useful at times, a hindrance at others. If you get the Rx and tint right, it's rarely necessary.

Happy flying,

Cam. (Optometrist, R/C flyer)[8D]
Old 01-01-2006, 08:08 PM
xray328

Yeah, my eyes are 20/150! I can't stand wearing glasses. I just feel like I have blinders on. I can make out shapes and colors at a distance but I'm sure that glasses would help my flying. I really want to get LASIK. My wife had PRK when we were in the Air Force and it was free. Part of a trial study for the pilots. Shes at 20/15 now. Lucky dog!
Old 01-01-2006, 08:51 PM
d_bodary

Take it from me a good pair of glasses will be the best thing you ever will do to improve your flying. In fact the only time i wear my glasses are when i fly. Never noticed what a hard time i had seeing until i got the glasses. I can't vouch for the plus or minus 25 something or other. but hey i don't have to i'm not in that business but i am telling you no glasses way way tougher to fly correctly.

Should be in hoffman estates to fly a a contest around the fourth of july. At tri village off of shoe factory road. Why don't you stop by. Maybe even enter.

Dennis
Old 01-01-2006, 09:13 PM
xray328

Hey, that'd be real cool. Give me some details. What kind of contest is it? Although I'm not a newbie I'm by no means an expert. I better get busy and start practicing!!! Hoffman Estates is less than an hour away. I could easily do that!
Old 01-02-2006, 01:21 AM
d_bodary

It is a pattern contest. no matter if you've never flown pattern before. last year there was noone entered in sportsman. anybody could have won with a 29 cent hand launched glider. it is a two day contest last year it was the 2nd and 3rd of july will probably be around the same time this year. a nice dinner at one of the contestants homes after the first day is over. about ten minutes away from the field. then a walk down to the park a few houses away for foamie flying. then sunday they finish up the contest. i think it finished up around 2 o clock. plenty of time to get back home. i live just south of detroit and still made it home before dark. It was a good time and a don't miss contest for this year. The website for the field is trivillagercers or something like that. you can also try the nsrca look under district five. any other questions just ask. the chicago crowd is a pretty good group of people. and no you don't need a four thousand dollar aircraft to fly in pattern either.

dennis
Old 01-02-2006, 05:02 AM
HaveBlue

simply the best..revo's..same company made the space shuttle windows
Old 01-02-2006, 05:10 AM
camdyson

Revo's are nice. If you want some good "cool" sunglasses with your script in them, and don't mind supporting the Coca-Cola of sunnies, Oakley do some excellent prescription lenses for some of their styles - some with polarising if you like too. I have a few of these, and they've lasted surprisingly well - excellent coatings.

In Australia we use Sola's "Spazio" Rx sunglass lenses which are probably the pick of the bunch if any Aussie's are reading this.

Cam
Old 01-02-2006, 05:16 AM
HaveBlue

look up luxottica..revo's arent cocacola sunglasses....I use to work in the industry..oakley overpriced(good quality no doubt) but look at what goes into a revo lense!
Old 01-02-2006, 06:34 PM
camdyson

I agree - I was referring to Oakley as the Coca-Cola ones!! Their optical lenses are great, but generally their products are over-priced for what they are. You pay for marketing hype with Oakley remember.

Revo are superb quality - no arguments there. One of the best off-the-shelf sunglasses in the world - highly reccommended!

Cam.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:33 PM
HaveBlue

cam what in the heck isnt overpriced here!!???!!!..lol
Old 01-03-2006, 04:21 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

I have Zurichs. Best investment I've made for my eyes. I have the large ones that will fit over scrips. They work great. I did pay an extra $10 or $15 for the extra tinting, well worth it IMHO.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Newc

I also got the Zurichs that fit over prescription glasses. The only comments that I have are: Not sure that they are really any improvement over my dark gray prescription sunglasses; and due to the side 'shields/blinders' design it seems to me that if there is a breeze at my back or rear quarter that the shields/blinders direct the wind right over my eyes, causing tearing, followed shortly by me throwing the Zurichs off.