Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

bulk balsa order what to get?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

bulk balsa order what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 09:31 PM
whatwheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bulk balsa order what to get?

To you who build from plans and buy bulk balsa orders, as far as sheets go do you order the less expensive narrower ones and splice if needed? do you make strips and sticks? what different thickness sheets ya da ya da .

Just want to get a general idea for a basic order, I am a good builder of kits but would like to try from plans, have not even picked a plane yet.

If any one wants to give it a try i would really appreciate any replys.
Thanks. Glenn.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:32 PM
huggins

Default RE: bulk balsa order what to get?

I always get the 3" or 4" wide stock. I never bother with the narrow or wide stuff. I also usually get the 4-6 lb. density contest grade balsa. It is nearly twice the price, but I like light planes. Width is sometimes governed by availability, especially with the contest grade stuff. I don't buy sticks or tri-stock. I just cut them on my table saw. I use a very thin veneer blade and waste due to blade kerf is minimal. I don't do that to save money (even though it does), I just like to be able to control the quality myself. Thin strips...razor blade and straight edge. As far as thicknesses goes, get what the job calls for. Scratch (or plan) building takes alot of planning prior to making a wood order. Plan what you will need for the job and get extra.

Mike
Old 01-02-2006, 10:53 PM
whatwheel

Thanks for the info Mike, thats a good start.
Glenn.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:44 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Wide sheets can be cut narrower if necessary. Narrow sheets are very difficult to properly join for sheeting. Wider really doesn't cost that much more and contest grade balsa is certainly worth the little bit more it costs. When you consider the costs of your radio gear and the engine and how long you will keep the model, with luck, don't throw away a dollar to save a dime. Building is much easier with good well cut, straight materials. I prefer to build from plans and have been doing it for many years. Fought too many times with cheap balsa and had it ruin an otherwise nice airplane. At times have scrapped a fuselage or wing and started from the beginning because of cheap balsa. Get the best. In the long run you will save time and money.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:42 PM
whatwheel

Hi ballgunner, thanks for your reply, I really was not trying to save $$$$$ allthough I see now that it sounded that way. I was just wondering if most of you that build from plans make a itemized wood list off the plan of choice down to the last stick or if you have a kind of standard assortment that you try to keep on hand? Thanks again.
Glenn.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:57 PM
kdheath

My assortment varies a bit, but I will usually have a little of everything from 1/64th plywood to 1/2" balsa. I buy some extra since you have to order $25 worth anyway. Then you have some to choose from for grain, color, straightness and so on. I buy the 4-6 pound stock from Lone Star and rarely get a piece that isn't useable. Average density is about 5.2 pounds/cu ft. The contest wood does cost more than the non-select, but it is still about half of the hobby shop price. And most hobby shop wood is the balsa/oak hybrid.

I see you're in Oklahoma. If you ever get down to Dallas, run out to Lancaster and Lone Star will let you pick your own from the rack.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:11 PM
XTOL

When I set out to build a plane I go through my stock of wood
and see what I have and what I need to order. Then when I place
the order I always get extra.

As to what you should stock...lots of 3/32 sheet. Its the most widely used.
Almost all wing ribs and wing sheeting is 3/32. Some lighter weight planes
use 1/16 sheeting while some larger 60 sized planes often use some 1/8 sheeting.

Keep lots of 1/4 sheet on hand. Used for a lot of tail surfaces.
Sometimes 3/8 is used like the US60 Im building. I also like
to have at least one sheet of 1/2 laying around. Good for chin blocks
and building up wing tips.

Dont forget the plywood. Lots of 1/8 here. Most fuselage formers
will be 1/8 birch ply for high stress formers and 1/8 lite ply for the rest.
You could also keep some 1/4 birch on hand for firewalls but I usually
just laminate a couple pieces of 1/8 birch for my 1/4 firewalls.

I dont buy any sticks. And I usually get 4 inch wide stock. I just cut what
I need with my Dremel table saw or Master Airscrew balsa stripper for smaller stuff.

You cant ever have too much balsa. If the things would grow
in Illinois I would do it...

Mike Hammer
Old 01-03-2006, 09:34 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: kdheath

I see you're in Oklahoma. If you ever get down to Dallas, run out to Lancaster and Lone Star will let you pick your own from the rack.
Do you have the address for Lone Star?? I get to Dallas every few months so I can get over there too. Trips to Dallas for me aren't complete without a stop at Mike's Super Store. Cool Power 15% at $12.50 a gallon is great when I go down there. I don't go to get fuel, but have to go for work so it's good that I can get the fuel when I'm there.

Thanks in advance

Ken
Old 01-03-2006, 11:48 PM
kdheath

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: kdheath

Do you have the address for Lone Star?? I get to Dallas every few months so I can get over there too. Trips to Dallas for me aren't complete without a stop at Mike's Super Store. Cool Power 15% at $12.50 a gallon is great when I go down there. I don't go to get fuel, but have to go for work so it's good that I can get the fuel when I'm there.

Thanks in advance

Ken
Yep-go to the web site http://www.lonestar-models.com/ and scroll down a little to the map button.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:43 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Kdheath.

Ken
Old 01-04-2006, 09:36 PM
whatwheel

Sorry for the delay kdheath and xtol, thanks for the replys, I really got some good info from all you guys the only thing i forgot to ask about the balsa is how to store it corectly?
Thanks. Glenn.