Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

split elevator problem

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

split elevator problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 05:07 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default split elevator problem

Finishing my second H9 corsair , measured everthing carefully before glueing the elevator halves to the stab but after it dried a test run on the ground appears to have one side with a slight differance then the othere when I move them up and down .
One side seems to trail . Any suggestions on how to fix this considering its all glued in ?
If your not familar with the set up its a
typical elevator set up , both sides get ca hinges to the stab and a medal long U type bracket hold both elevators even under power from one side driven by the servo
Old 01-08-2006, 09:26 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: split elevator problem

Depending on the metal in that U bracket.........

And depending on the balsa that's in the elevator halves where that U is glued.......

We've done years and years of this in CL stunt........ Grab each elevator exactly where the U arms run into the elevator and BEND a little.

If you fear that you'll have the metal crush the wood too much (and that's a sensible fear) then cut out small holes toward the ends of the U and you'll have direct touch to the metal.

Next down on the list of possible solutions is to take one elevator side and cut halfway through the bottom of it. The cuts follow the arm of the U. One cut on each side. You're actually going to free the metal arm enough to be able to change where it sits in the wood. Once it's somewhat free, adjust and glue it back solid. It's actually easy to do. Once glued, sand smooth and recover and nobody will be able to see a thing. And your plane will fly better for it.

One method takes about 10 seconds. The other one takes about 10 minutes.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:23 AM
voyager_663rd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: darock

Depending on the metal in that U bracket.........

And depending on the balsa that's in the elevator halves where that U is glued.......

We've done years and years of this in CL stunt........ Grab each elevator exactly where the U arms run into the elevator and BEND a little.

If you fear that you'll have the metal crush the wood too much (and that's a sensible fear) then cut out small holes toward the ends of the U and you'll have direct touch to the metal.

Next down on the list of possible solutions is to take one elevator side and cut halfway through the bottom of it. The cuts follow the arm of the U. One cut on each side. You're actually going to free the metal arm enough to be able to change where it sits in the wood. Once it's somewhat free, adjust and glue it back solid. It's actually easy to do. Once glued, sand smooth and recover and nobody will be able to see a thing. And your plane will fly better for it.

One method takes about 10 seconds. The other one takes about 10 minutes.
DIfferent plane but the same sort of problem. Bending seems easiest but here's a problem: when the servo is at neutral, both halves are perfectly aligned. It's only on deflection that one rises a bit (and I do mean, a bit--1/16" or so) more than the other. Bending would fix the "final" position but also change the neutral position (trade misalignment from end position to neutral position).

Using dual servos.

Can't adjust servo travel at the end range individually. Can't adjust pushrod length because those adjustments would throw out the "neutral" position (which is aligned).
That 1/16" difference is enough to throw off alignment in loops significantly.

:?:
Old 01-08-2006, 02:15 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

voyager?
why would you use a wire joiner with a dual servo setup? If using dual servos, no joiner would be the best bet--that way one servo doesn't fight the other. Sounds a lot like a mechanical linkage issue. I know you say it doesn't, but one servo is indexed at a slightly different position than the other, and so the arc of one servo horn is slightly different than the arc of the other--giving more or less travel between the two. The travel arc's of the servos need to be exactly the same, if possible.

Try removing one arm, and re-indexing it with the reversing Y's adjustment. Then, replace the arm. The arm's of both servos need to be in exactly the same relative position at neutral. If this still doens't fix the problem, then you might have to use something like a matchbox or other electronic mixer to fix the problem--assuming you cannot split the elevator servo's onto different channels and slave them in your radio.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lets get the terminology straight first.

The metal "U" is called a torque rod.

CUT the torque rod in half with a dremel tool. Or, get a pair of sidecutters or linemans pliers and snip the torque rod in half. Whatever it takes--cut the darn thing in half and disable it.

That will allow each elevator to move independant of the other.

Now install a control horn on BOTH elevators.

Run a linkage from each elevator up to the servo.

Solder/braze the linkages together so that you only have 1 rod to connect up to the servo. Use a single clevis or connector to hook up the linkage to the servo.

Use the threads on the ends of the rods to adjust the elevators. Screw the clevis' in and out untill both elevators line up.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LDM

Finishing my second H9 corsair , measured everthing carefully before glueing the elevator halves to the stab but after it dried a test run on the ground appears to have one side with a slight differance then the othere when I move them up and down .
The side with the control horn attached will always move more since it's connected to the servo. The other side will trail since it's receiving input from the first side.

I like to use Sig heavy duty elevator joiner, part #SIGSH554: [link]http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/DetailProduct.html?L+Sig+mnvh0519+_Dimagefile_02SI GSH554_2ehtml_01[/link]

It has a single internal control horn so torque is split evenly between the two elevator halves. My H9 Corsair has it and my TF Corsair has it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40531.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	383580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21245.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	383581  
Old 01-08-2006, 04:37 PM
LDM

Rich I think your answer hits it on the head , did you put your elevator servo in the fuse ?
Old 01-08-2006, 04:48 PM
voyager_663rd

My situation is more different than originally described. Sorry for any confusion. I think what I need to do is figure out why it's off before I can figure out how to correct it.

The plane was bought in an estate sale. The builder (electronics guy) wired the servo's in through a circuit board that controls (reverses) the servos. It may be that the servo placement is slightly off so at rest they are neutral but when activated, the angle is ever so slightly off at full deflection. I have more research to do b4 I can actually post here.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LDM

Rich I think your answer hits it on the head , did you put your elevator servo in the fuse ?
Yes, I have a single elevator servo in the fuse. The H9 Corsair has plenty of extra room in the servo tray for the elevator servo.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: voyager_663rd
The plane was bought in an estate sale. The builder (electronics guy) wired the servo's in through a circuit board that controls (reverses) the servos. It may be that the servo placement is slightly off so at rest they are neutral but when activated, the angle is ever so slightly off at full deflection. I have more research to do b4 I can actually post here.
Thats the problem.

Servos don't travel the same amount in both directions. Any given servo will travel--lets say 50 degrees clockwise and only 45 degrees counter-clockwise.

When you reverse 1 servo with a servo reverser--then they are always going to travel different amounts. 1 is traveling 50 degrees and the other is traveling only 45 degrees.

Thats why--even though they may be centered up together when at neutral--you see different amount of elevator movement at full deflection.

The only way to get it right is to use a JR Matchbox, Smart-Fly Equalizer, Futaba Servo Synchroniser, or a TX that can do the mixing for you.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:20 PM
LDM

At this point , I have a full interior in the plane so the servo in the fuse will be some work and th elevator is totally glued in .
I may have a simple fix .
The rear fuse is solid wood .
I can drill a curved arch(similar to the maximum travel of the Elevator) in the rear fuse at the tips of the rear elevator .
Then expozy a small carbon fiber rod attaching both ends of the elevator and ensuring they are 100% level prior to adhesion .The rod would travel in the drilled out arch with the movement of the elevator . This should be able to hold both ends even and give good solid even control .
What do you guys this about that ? [X(]
Old 01-08-2006, 09:40 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Actually, torque rods are used in single servo ailerons--they convert linear motion into angular motion--linear motion of the push rod to angular motion of the ailerons. For joining elevator halves, you'd use a joiner wire--this is the terminology used in every kit I've ever put together.....
Old 01-09-2006, 01:59 AM
Rcpilot

I stand corrected.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:49 PM
the_madgenius

Why not convert the whole system for theelevators to a pull pull system, 4 wires , 2 for up elevator and 2 for down elevator, that way you can set the elevators exactly, using one servo