Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Aileron servo installation

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Aileron servo installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 09:34 PM
RCFan-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron servo installation

I have 2 questions (and am not afraid to admit to being a newbie)...

#1) Which is preferred when installing dual aileron servos?
-A hatch with the servo mounted on its side and only the end of the control arm exposed.
-Servo mounted in plate such that the top of the servo and entire control arm are visible.
--I've seen both in pictures on the site, but I'm not sure about the conservation of degree of deflection afforded by these approaches.

#2) (The really dumb question) I'm assuming that I'll need 2 servo extensions and a Y-connector to get from the two servos to the receiver. I only have a four channel redio and need them both on the same channel. Is this correct?

BTW I'm building a BTE Venture 60 and am about halfway through wing construction. I've widened the holes in the ribs from the point where the servos will be mounted to the center of the wing.

Thanks,
Sorry so long winded.

JB
Old 11-20-2002, 10:32 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another alternative is to mount the servo on the inside of the hatch cover.I use 1/16 aircraft ply, 1/4 in aircraft ply glued to the inside. Screw the servos to the 1/4 ply. this is on 1/4 scale Cap 10 B among other planes.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:11 AM
jeffmd2

Since you are building a Venture 60 take a look at the pictures of mine at the http://www.venture60.com web site. Scroll down to Washington and click on Jeff. I made a box like structure around the servo. It is attached via CA glue to the rib and the main spar. It is also designed to allow only the servo arm to be visable through the covering. I did not need to alter the ribs (holes) the wires fit nicely through the existing holes. You will need 6 inch extentions and a Y connector. The Y connector will then attach to the aileron output of the reciever. Hope this helps.

[email protected]
Old 11-21-2002, 02:38 AM
RCFan-RCU

Thanks Jeff.

Actually, your pics are where I got the idea for mounting the servos that way. It looks great. I have also been trying to figure out exactly how that cowl job works.

Can you remove your cowl? If not, how do you access your engine?

This kit is coming together great and I want to do it justice. It's my first build. I'm planning for a Saito 72 up front and was going to try your elevator control set-up too. (BTW, love the turning head).

Thanks again for the response.

Jason
Old 11-21-2002, 07:49 AM
jeffmd2

Jason,

The aileron servo installation I did on my wing works and looks great. If you do it the same way, be advised that the servo's are only going to be removed if the wing is destroyed. The box around it provides a surface for the covering to stick to. My cowl is built into the fuse, the engine is removable through the hole in the side, (just big enough to shoehorn it in). Your choice of a Saito 72 will be fine, if you really want the plane to perform, go with a 91. My magnum 91 at 23 oz is just right for ballance. Good luck. Post some pictures when you are done.

Jeff
Old 11-21-2002, 03:11 PM
RCFan-RCU

Another question Jeff,

I see the remote needle valve adjustment, but I'm not sure of your fueling set-up. Advice?

Thanks,
JB
Old 11-21-2002, 04:40 PM
jeffmd2

The "fuel in" and "pressure" lines are easily accessable, I do not need a remote fueling set up.
Send me your email address and I will send you a picture.

[email protected]