Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Flaperon , spoileron general question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flaperon , spoileron general question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:32 AM
carstoreguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaperon , spoileron general question

Hi all!
This is a general question regarding Flaperons and Spoilerons.
To slow a plane down for landing ( In this case a Corby Starlet by SA - .60 size) with only ailerons. (no flaps) Would I be better to use flaps (down aileron - up elevator?) or spoilerons ( up aileron - down elevator?)

Feel free to correct me on the deffination as I have stated.
I understand the radio functions and how to program them so this is not programing issue, more of a "what does flaperon or spoileron do" Type of question.
Thanks for your time.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:24 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flaperon , spoileron general question

I don’t have your particular airplane but find that flaperon/spoilerons on a four star 60 will dirty the wing up enough to prevent bounce. It doesn’t seem to matter if flap or spoil is used. I don’t notice the airplane flying any slower.

Bill
Old 01-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with using flaps or spoilers coupled to elevator is they change position when you make small corrections just before touchdown. This can cause your airplane to climb or fall abruptly just above ground. Any correction makes it worse bacause your are also adding more flap or spoiler.

It is better to set up flaperons or spoilerons, but put them on a knob or couple them to throttle with a mix. On planes that tend to float, I mix throttle to spoiler. I set the offset so they start coming out at about half throttle and are fully deployed at idle. I use the Landing switch to arm them. This way when I add power, they drop down and don't affect the plane on take off from a touch and go.

If your plane is heavy and lands fast, use flaps. If it is light or has a high lift wing and tends to float, use spoilers.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be carefull using flarerons as this plane has outboard ailerons and has a good chance of tipstalling on you. Take it up high to test it out before you try a landing with it so as to avoid any surprises I have a i/4 scale Starlett and it's a sweetheart.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:33 PM
carstoreguy

This is a Sportsman Avation kit it has inboard ailerons, still scary?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not so scary
Old 01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
multiflyer

A programming trick for flaperons. Include aileron to rudder mixing that activates when flaperons are deployed. This is to counteract the exaggerated adverse yaw that flaperons introduce into the aileron behavior.

Multiflyer