Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

prop question again

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

prop question again

Old 01-13-2006, 05:25 AM
crabby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop question again

coool my first post-be gentle as i am new to rc

i have a global rush with a os .46 ax motor and have been told by a few people what prop is best for this setup and have a few diferent answers so i thought i would get some more opinions and hope to find someone who has a similar setup and what they are running

regards crabby
Old 01-13-2006, 09:43 AM
voyager_663rd

Default RE: prop question again

general sport purposes 11x6 apc.

mas ok too but the tips tend to flatten out a bit at higher rpms.

mas is somewhat tuffer and is better able to handle those dirt naps we all experience at one time or another.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:42 PM
kdheath

An amportant lesson for beginners in RC is that there is no magic number as far as props are concerned. You might hear someone insist that you have to run such and such. Baloney. The best prop in an application is the one that lets the plane perform the way you want it to. Use the advice as guidelines-but experiment until you find something you like. It would be reasonable to start with an 11-6 APC or Master Airscrew. But try 11-5s while you're at it. Also try TF woods in that size range. I would also try a 12-4 in a couple of brands. The higher pitch props will give you more speed (in general) and the flatter pitch props will give you better climb. The larger props won't "wind up" (gain speed) as much in a dive. Play with them. You'll find a few that make you say No Way Will I Do That Again and then you'll find the one that you say Ah-That's It! I swear I've seen guys abandon airplanes that didn't fly to suit them without trying a different prop. Dumb!
And learn to balance your props while you're at it. Well worth the effort.
Best of luck, and enjoy!
Old 01-13-2006, 05:16 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kdheath

An amportant lesson for beginners in RC is that there is no magic number as far as props are concerned. You might hear someone insist that you have to run such and such. Baloney. The best prop in an application is the one that lets the plane perform the way you want it to. Use the advice as guidelines-but experiment until you find something you like. It would be reasonable to start with an 11-6 APC or Master Airscrew. But try 11-5s while you're at it. Also try TF woods in that size range. I would also try a 12-4 in a couple of brands. The higher pitch props will give you more speed (in general) and the flatter pitch props will give you better climb. The larger props won't "wind up" (gain speed) as much in a dive. Play with them. You'll find a few that make you say No Way Will I Do That Again and then you'll find the one that you say Ah-That's It! I swear I've seen guys abandon airplanes that didn't fly to suit them without trying a different prop. Dumb!
And learn to balance your props while you're at it. Well worth the effort.
Best of luck, and enjoy!

----- and that's the right answer!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:49 PM
crabby

thanks for the fast response guys-much apreciated.i went to the field today and took off the 10-6 and tried a 11.7 and was amazed at the diference it made then after a couple of flights i was aproached and was given a 12.25-3.75 and felt better again and stuck with that all morning and reckon i will keep that one on.i will get the prop balanced and see how that goes.once again thanks for the speedy reply and just reinforces why i joined a forum to get good advice from people who have been there done that
regards crabby