Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Dot vs Easy fueler

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dot vs Easy fueler

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 08:49 PM
RC Stout
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dot vs Easy fueler

I'm building a SIG 1/5 scale J3 cub, and I would like opinions on Fuel dots vs Easy fuelers and where would be the best place to install them, cowl or fuselage and do you need a third line coming from the tank to use these fuelers
Old 01-24-2006, 09:09 PM
redfox435cat

Default RE: Dot vs Easy fueler

use a fuel fueler. The best place to put it on a cub is smack dab in the middle of the fuse right behind the cowl since it's the scale fueling location. can even rig a cover witha wire sticking up for acual scale apearance
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14491.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	394755  
Old 01-25-2006, 06:28 AM
Newc

I've used both and prefer the fuel dots. A prime reason for this is that the dots allow you to use your normal (standard) fuel connector that you use for all planes without a special system - the metal piece that goes into the fuel line. The fuelers require a special connector that goes on the end of the fuel line from your fuel source. In this (fueler) case you can either remove the standard connector and put the special one on or you can have the special connector at the end of a small length of fuel line and put this on the standard connector and then into the fueler connection on the plane. In either case there's an additional step rquired, but probably most important - at least to me - is that the special connector can be left at home or lost, leaving you with no way to fuel the plane when you are at the field.

Yep, I left mine at home once when I took a couple of planes to the field. One I was able to fly, the other sat there in the pits!
Old 01-25-2006, 06:53 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I've got a couple easy fillers and haven't had problems with them. However, enough people here have reported problems with them that I've switched to 3 line setups with fuel dots. If you can fit it in the fuselage, do that, having it backed up with wood is better than the thin cowl. It also simplifies cowl removal.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer fuel dots. I mount them on the cowl if my fuel tank is up against the firewall. If I move my fuel tank back over the CG, then I usually mount them on the fuselage to make removing/installing the cowl easier.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:29 PM
pilotpete2

If you check out Slimlines new fuel fittings you'll see they combine the advantages of each. It works like a fueler valve being cut into the line from the tank to the carb
but does not have a valve, the fuel probe sends fuel to the tank only totally blocking off the carb line, the supplied probe has an integrated fuel filter and the tip is perfect for connecting directly to fuel tubing. They sell a complete package including the probe with O rings for glow or gas, you can then buy the "Dots" individualy as your fleet grows.
There stuff isin't cheap but the quality is tops.
Oh, and by the way I'm not on their payroll!!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Joe14580

Noob here.

Can someone post a link to this "fuel dot" product please.

Is it this one ?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAHE1&P=7

Thanks
Old 01-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Richard L.

These are superior and come in two per package: [link]http://www.pspmfg.com/FuelDotsRegular.html[/link]
Old 01-26-2006, 03:05 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

These are the slimline ones pilotpete2 was talking about, I have a few and they work great and won't pop out (they thread in) just don't forget to put the cap back on before you take off [X(] NO I'd never do THAT hehe
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEXX1&P=ML

Dauntae
Old 01-26-2006, 07:52 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

The dubro ones are the only ones that I know of that tower carries but I have one installed on a plane and I think they look a little junky.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:11 PM
RC Stout

Great I've decided to use the DOTs , now my next question,do I need a third line coming from the carb? I have always diconnected the vent line from the muffler and then disconnected the line from the carb and filled the tank until it ran out the vent tube then. Does anyone have a drawing or a link to a drawing on how this setup works?
Thanks Royal
Old 01-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Richard L.

On any engine other than YS, you will need a three-line setup: one vent line to the muffler pressure fitting, one feed line connected directly to the carb, and the third line connected to the fuel dot for fueling and defueling. I like to connect a second clunk to the third line.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Richard L.

I've tried almost every brand of fuel dots and finally settled down on the ones from PSP Manufacturing. These are the best, IMHO:

The cap snaps in easily and removes easily (long fingernails not required). However, once it snaps in place, it stays in place.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:31 AM
crownvic

I have also switched to the fuel dots after way to many problems with the fuelers! mostly with them sticking in the open position or sucking air there are no valves in the fuel dots.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:08 PM
winglift
My Feedback: (10)

I have used fuel dots on a Freestyle with a YS and have had no problems, but I am having problems doing the same set up (3 line) on a Saito and no matter which line I use to fill the tank it starts coming out of the exhaust, via the carb I am assuming. The fuelers, such as the Slimline will eliminate that problem, but does anyone have a suggestion how to solve this issue without going to a fueler?

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:32 AM
Ernie Misner

Do you have the muffler pressure line set up so it goes into the very top of the fuel tank? For your third line, do you have a clunk in the tank, and hooked up to the Dot? If so, no fuel should come out the muffler line until the tank is full.

Ernie
Old 03-21-2006, 09:36 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is how to set up a 3 line tank (Note, some people use a clunk on the third line, but if you set it up like this you don't need one)

Name:	Ro41876.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	430341  
Old 03-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for all thoes that are moving from the filler to dots dont throw them away send them my way. Only problem I have had was with one that was 4 years old and it needed a new o ring in it. I have used the Dubro large and small glo and gas
Old 03-21-2006, 01:22 PM
winglift

MinnFlyer It is exactly like that except I am using the Great Planes fuel tank which only has one accomidation for the clunk and the other two are above that and have no internal access. See photo. This was the only 14 oz tank that fit well.

Name:	Om34327.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	430396  
Old 03-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Ernie Misner

Minn Flyer, in the photo, that 3rd line just stays there on the bottom of the tank due to the bend it the tubing it attaches to?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 03-22-2006, 09:11 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

winglift,
With that tank, use the top connection for your pressure line. It will serve also as your full tank indicator. When the tank is full, fuel will start to drip out of your muffler.

The middle connection is good for your filler line. A filler line doesn't have to go any particular place inside the tank to work. It does facilitate pumping out the tank to have that line go where MinnFlyer shows his going. I'm using that tank and have put a "T" into the fuel pickup line. I use the line off the "T" to fuel and pump out the tank. You can have a 2 line setup like that, or a 3 line setup if you also run a fill line from the middle with a "T" on the pickup line and that works great too. In that 3 line setup, I simply made plugs for two lines.

Making plugs is simple. Some small bolts fit fuel line tightly. I cut them short and dip the threaded end into epoxy when I've got some mixed. The epoxy cures to a ball. Then I drill holes through the cowl that are just very slightly larger than the fuel line. When I have the fuel line plugged, the epoxy ball slightly expands the diameter of the fule line. That bulge is a "pop" fit through the hole in the cowl and holds the end of the fuel line securely. It's an extremely simple solution and looks clean on the outside of the model. It costs almost nothing to do and adds no significant weight to the model. Or you can buy the plugs at the hobby shop for about a $1 a pack of four. This beats fuel dots for me bigtime. No effort involved beyond drilling the hole. Almost zero weight.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:42 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

I think I'm going to change to the fuel dots. I've about had it with the other type leaking and not being sure if they are leaning out the engine. [>:]

Hi Ernie!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:19 PM
feep

I tried one of those easy fuelers on my 1/4 scale eindecker and since I'm a slow learner I went through 3 bad dead stick landings before I realized that the valve was sticking open and sucking air. My problems always occured at take offs. Now I have a fuel dot.There may be a 3rd line involved but the fuel dot adhears to the "kiss" principle. And I have had no problems with it since I installed it. I'm building an Ultra sport 40 and I am actually thinking of using an easy fueler valve because I installed the tank with only 2 lines and it will be very dificult to fuel. But this is only a 40 size and they can sometimes cartwheel across the ground without too much damage. On a 1/4 scale size aircraft when you have a problem its a different story. On my large scale stuff I won't be taking any more chances
Old 03-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Cyberwolf

I've delt with all the sticky leaky fuel filler valves all I care for .I use Great planes line dots cheap and always work great.You dont need to use a 3 line setup with 2 clunks like I do ,you can tee off the carb line and just run the two ,but make sure when you fill it the carb is closed ,other wise I have seen some mighty flooded engines and a lot of wasted fuel .
I use a brass tube to drill a hole just larger then the fuel line ,when the dot expands the line its a pop in fit .
Old 03-22-2006, 01:28 PM
winglift

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

I've delt with all the sticky leaky fuel filler valves all I care for .I use Great planes line dots cheap and always work great.You dont need to use a 3 line setup with 2 clunks like I do ,you can tee off the carb line and just run the two ,but make sure when you fill it the carb is closed ,other wise I have seen some mighty flooded engines and a lot of wasted fuel .
I use a brass tube to drill a hole just larger then the fuel line ,when the dot expands the line its a pop in fit .
Thanks Cyberwolf. I think you just solved my problem. I never even thought of closing the carb when filling it. I'm going to try it and will let you know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.