Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

*Free Wheeling*

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

*Free Wheeling*

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *Free Wheeling*

I have a Seagull Laser 200 and I bought an Ohio Superstar tailwheel assemble to replace the one that came in the kit. The control horn for the rudder and the control horns for the springs on the tail wheel assemble need to be in the same spot. The control horn for the rudder is of good quality and not your standard control horn so I can't attach the sprngs there. I had a guy suggest to me to let it "Free Wheel" in the rear. I've never heard of this, do any of you guys have a plane set up this way? How is the control for steering at low speeds? I can see it working perfect for take off and landing but not sure about when you taxi around for take off or back to the pit area.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:54 PM
guille2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Free Wheeling*

Yes, free wheeling exists and works well, specially when talking about strong ruddered planes like yours. Low speed control is achieved thanks to the wind coming form the propeller (shall you know that many "real" planes uses free wheel systems). I must accept that is not the same control that you'll have with a servo commanded wheel but believe me: really works well...
Old 01-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Zippi

Thanks for the info, I might just have to try it on this plane.
ORIGINAL: guille2006

Yes, free wheeling exists and works well, specially when talking about strong ruddered planes like yours. Low speed control is achieved thanks to the wind coming form the propeller (shall you know that many "real" planes uses free wheel systems). I must accept that is not the same control that you'll have with a servo commanded wheel but believe me: really works well...
Old 01-28-2006, 06:34 PM
SigFan

You will find that applying power in short bursts will help with the steering on a free wheel tail. Hard to steer though in a crosswind on the runway. Good luck
Old 01-28-2006, 11:38 PM
redfox435cat

you got pictures. I can't believe there is no way to rig a control to the wheel
Old 01-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Zippi

I'm not saying there is no way to rig it, it's just the normal way that I know is not possible. There is a small hard wood block at the lower part of the rudder for the control horn and not enough room for another one for the springs to attach too. If you have any ideas or pics of something you have rigged up I'd like to see it to get some ideas.
ORIGINAL: redfox435cat

you got pictures. I can't believe there is no way to rig a control to the wheel
Old 01-29-2006, 11:48 AM
redfox435cat

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCLK9&P=0#partsusage]scale wheel[/link]
probably doesn't help since ya got another tail-wheel

this bolts to the bottom of the fuse. the horn bolts to the rudder and a pair of spring go to the tail wheel
Goldberg has a similar one. my favorite was the Sullivan plastic scale tail gear put it seem there no longer available

the pic is of my Dazzler tail wheel. as you can see there is no intrusion since the tail-wheel is all on the bottom of the fuse and rudder. this should give some idea of some sorta rig up. I just got rid of my cap it have a good none intrusive tail wheel as well. oh here what I put on it. [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFV48&P=0]sullivan[/link] the spring simple goes through a hole on the collar on the wheel. the other end just pokes up into the rudder. worked very well, took allot of abuse

course there the ol hack off the rudder and re hinge it and put the these in there
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJ931&P=0]old school[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77422.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	397679  
Old 01-29-2006, 04:42 PM
Zippi

I solved my problem. I have a plane I sold setting in the floor waiting to be picked up and forgot all about checking it. Just slipped my mind I guess. This is a Sig tailwheel and it has a metal "T" that attaches to the bottom of the rudder and does not use control horns that mount to the side of the rudder. This was the problem I was having. The control horn for the rudder and the control horns for the springs need to both be mounted to the side of the rudder. All I have to do now is fabricate a "T".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75713.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	397892