Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Propeller hole larger than shaft???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Propeller hole larger than shaft???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 01:26 AM
hcuellart
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Propeller hole larger than shaft???

Hello guys, I have a question here. I have a propeller which has a bigger hole than my shaft. The shaft is an 8mm shaft and the propeller has maybe a 10mm hole. It is a quite big propeller and is a carbon fiber one what can I do to adjust the size on either the shaft or the propeller. Are there any tips out there I am missing? I have been searching for some time but to no avail...
Thanks for any input.
Best regards,
Homero
Old 02-01-2006, 07:34 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Propeller hole larger than shaft???

Homero,
Your hobby shop should have brass tubing for sale. These come in different diameters and they telescope into one another. These can be cut into short pieces and used as bushings to make up the difference in the shaft and propeller hole sizes.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:07 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Or you can wrap the shaft with soft wire.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:56 AM
bbbair

Most of the engines that I have ever bought come with a series of plastic "Liners" that fit onto the Engine shaft (like a washer - but "Taller").

They come in different thicknesses and their purpose is to expand the thickness of the shaft out, to ensure a snug fit with the propeller.

You are obviouslly in dire need of a set of these "Liners", I don't know where to buy them separately but ask around at the LHS and one of your Club GURUs that as EVERYTHING in his shop...

If you cannot find any - then you could go to the local electronics supply store and buy some "Heat Shink Tubing", select a size that will easily fit onto the engine shaft, cut it into 1/2" lengths and apply heat. The tubing - true to it's name - shrinks in size, now add successive layers untill you have a snug fit in the Prop.

Good Luck!
Old 02-01-2006, 12:02 PM
hcuellart
My Feedback: (41)

Thanks guys! Well I did think of the soft wire and the tubing, but as after I thought about it for a while, I saw electrical tape on hand. I wrapped it around tightly at the base this made the propeller fit snuggly. That was it, quite easy... Unless you guys think otherwise I don't see how this will not work or have a safety issue...
Best regards,
Homero
Old 02-01-2006, 07:21 PM
flipstart

Try large plastic soda straws-cut to correct length, slit lengthwise, add as many as you need, alternating the slits opposite each other on the shaft until you get a tight fit. Cheap and easy-used them for years.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:41 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: hcuellart
after I thought about it for a while, I saw electrical tape on hand.
I use teflon tape like you use for wrapping pipe joints. It doesn't have adhesive, so it doesn't get sticky, is thin, so it can be fine-tuned better, and when wrapped tightly, won't compress and let the prop loosen on the shaft. Easy to remove when needed, too.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:08 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you buy plastic spinners, there are several stubby plastic inserts in the package that are used for fitting the spinner to various crankshaft sizes. Being a packrat, I always save those things. They are not only usefull for fitting spinners, I also use them for props. Drill/ream the hole in the prop to the OD of the plastic inserts & simply slip in a couple of the inserts that fit your crankshaft.

For example, I fit 12.25 - 3.75 APC props to both 46 & 61 size engines -- I use the inserts to adapt the props to either engine size.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:29 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your Electrical tape solution will work fine. I was going to mention that option, but didn't for fear of being flamed.