Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Receiver Range - Claims & Truth?? FUTABA

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Receiver Range - Claims & Truth?? FUTABA

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 08:28 PM
robwingo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver Range - Claims & Truth?? FUTABA

I recently returned to RC after a 10 year absence and have noticed an explosion in the number and types of receivers. One thing that concerns me is the limited range being sited for small receivers so I started to look into it. I think that a 1500' range is required for large gas and sailplanes. I would be concerned flying electrics with a <1000' range. Do I just not realize how close the planes are. HITEC is siting 1+mile even on the micro receivers. GWS is 500' and 1000' for the 4 and 6 channel, JR is "out of site". Has anyone done a test on receivers to determine actual ranges?

I wrote Futaba and they said the following:

Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 11:36 AM
To: robwingo
Subject: RE: Receiver range question (range check -AR)

Thank you for your recent e-mail. We are now the exclusive US distributor and service center for Futaba and, as such, your question has been referred to us to assist you.

What are the ranges of your various receivers?
Questions about radio range is something that we cannot accurately answer, as there are many variables. On the average, the range on car radios is approximately 500 feet, airplane radios range will be as far as the flier can see..

It appears that there is a very short range sited in the tower hobbies catalog of 218 yrds for R114. This is because it is intended for
indoor use, which does not require long ranges.
The 156F I received with my 6EXH only has a range of 200m?? Again this is also used for indoor park flying which does not require long distance ragne. This seems very short for a gas airplane or sailplane. The above receivers are not intended for gas planes or sailplanes. Thus the note: "Perfect for Park or Slow Flyers" that is
listed on the website.
What is the range of the full size R127DF??
The range would be approximately 1200 feet.

Sincerely,
Krysta
Lead Futaba Customer Service and Programming Technician
Futaba Service Center USA

This was a shocker for the 127DF asn I always thought it was 1 mile!

Looking for the truth!

Old 02-02-2006, 09:03 PM
kamakazie frank
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Receiver Range - Claims & Truth?? FUTABA

Hey Robwingo:

Have Futaba 127's in all my airplanes and most are high speed ships. All that know me have seen the extreme altitudes I have taken these ships to with violent snap rolls at WOT and never had a glitch in response. Never had a problem with these receivers!

kf
Old 02-03-2006, 10:26 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thing Futaba is doing the infamous "Cover Your Butt" technique.

If they say you'll get 3 miles of range, and you only get 2, someone, somewhere is bound to complain.

But if you say 1200' and you get 2 miles, everyone is happy
Old 02-04-2006, 07:20 AM
ashley95

as far as you can see is pretty acurate i think after all if you can't see what attitude your in then your going to probably crash anyway i use 127's in my aircraft and dont have any probs when i range check i drive about 1/2 mile away, the end of my driveway next to the house is lower than the street, then i have my daughter (also a pilot) walk the aircraft to street level by the time she gets to the top of the driveway all the shaking stops. have never lost an aircraft due to no control at distance
hope i helped
Old 02-08-2006, 06:56 PM
robwingo

Thanks for all the replys. I followed up with FUTABA and asked which receivers they recommended for glow/gas. To my suprise, they only list 2 FM and 2 PCM receivers.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 12:14 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Receiver range question (range check -AR)

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

That would be model numbers R127DF, R138DP, R148DF and the R149DP. PCM
does not increase the range, it just lessens the chance for
interference.

Yes your older R127DF is still legal to use.

Sincerely,
John G.
Product Support Lead Technician
Futaba Programming Technician
Great Planes Model Distributors
www.realflight.com
NO AUTORESPONDER

>>> "Robert" <[email protected]> 2/2/2006 6:39:11 PM >>>
Thanks for the quick response.

Maybe a better question I should have asked is what receivers do you
recommend for gas, 1/4 scale and 2m gliders which could have a long
range and be seen for great distances? Do the PCM receivers have an
extended range?

I have always used FUTABA and I just purchased a 7CAP w/ 127DF. I
have
an old 127DF with a silver sticker which says 1991 narrow band. Is it
still good to use?

-Rob Wingo
AMA 258247, Fauqier Aero Recreational Modelers
Old 02-08-2006, 07:48 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Futaba & Hitec systems, & if you can see it at all, you can fly it.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:16 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi robwingo
the hitec double conversion receiver will give you range...if you can see it you can control it.
some of the park flyer receivers are small and have limited range 1000 feet or so. depends on brand. stick with regular receivers and you will have no range problem with any brand.

happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 02-25-2006, 08:57 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I always thought that radio range was more a function of transmitter power than what the receiver can pick up.

What I mean to say is take a 127DF RX, for instance, and transmit to it at 1 watt, and say it loses the signal at 1500 feet. Transmit to the same RX with 5 watts, shouldn't it not lose the signal for a significantly longer distance? Wuldn't signal loss be due to the inability of a lower power transmission to reach as far?

Or is Futaba saying that at the "normal" rated transmitter power, the 127DF is sensitive enough to pick up the signal as far as 1200 feet away?

I'd think that as long as the RX was in line of sight, if you had enough transmitter power, you could fly a plane on the moon. Might need a pretty good telescope to see where you were going, though
Old 02-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Live Wire

Well In the good old day the more power you could put out of your TX the more range you have but it also depends on the condition where , and when you are using it. The FCC sets power out put for many devices recievers rely on tuning and amplification to reciever and specific signal May be my mind going . I see sun spots and mountains and this cell is suppost to be the best [:'(]
Old 02-26-2006, 03:32 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Futaba is being straight with us. Range is dependent upon so many things that any spec they might claim would be misleading. Here are some things that affect range:

How you set up the servo, battery, and switch wiring in your plane... theses are part of the receive antenna too.
How you orient your receive antenna relative to the other wiring in your plane.
The relative orientation of the receive antenna and transmitter antenna - radio signals are polarized!
How you hold your transmitter.
How tall you are.
The conductivity of the soil at your flying site.
The terrain at the flying site (hills, buildings, etc).
Other signals on or near your frequency (there are always some)
Etc, Etc.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Johnmpa

I agree, it is dependent on a lot of factors. I fly a GP Spectra Select RTF sailplane with a Futaba R114F (Park Flyer Receiver that was already installed) in it to about 1000 feet up and about 1500 feet horizontal - that make it's altitude (forgive my geometry) about 1000+ feet high. I've had no problems with control. Just make sure your antenna in both transmitter and receiver are out and not touching any other metal or electronics. Once I get that "gigantic" thermal one day, I let you know if the reception distance of this R114F Futaba receiver is greater than the eye can see - and hopefully it is.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Kwigen

I live in the country and fly off the top of a hill behind my house. My neighbor's farm shop is a little over a quarter of a mile away. If he is working late or I am playing early I fly over towards him and wag the wings. I'm always amazed how far away the plane is by the time I turn and head back.

My point is that I think we fly a good deal closer to ourselves than we think. The majority of the time within 300 ft with the occasionally venturing out to 500 to 600 feet.